Reference code(s): GB 0210 CROSSWOOD
Held at: National Library of Wales
Title: The Crosswood Deeds
Short Title: Crosswood, deeds
Creation date(s): 1184-1939
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 3.421 cubic metres (111 boxes, 24 volumes, 1 roll)
Name of creator(s): The Vaughan family of Crosswood (Trawsgoed), co. Cardigan, later the Earls of Lisburne.
Administrative/Biographical history: The Vaughan family of Trawsgoed or Crosswood in Cardiganshire resided on the same site for more than six centuries. The family muniments at the NLW supply a great deal of information on the various members of the family and the estate. The first member of the Vaughan family to marry a Stedman of Strata Florida was probably Edward Vaughan (d. 1635) who married Lettice, daughter of John Stedman. These were the parents of Sir John Vaughan (1603-1674), the chief justice. His son in turn was Edward Vaughan (d. 1683), who served as the MP for Cardiganshire from 1678/79 until 1681 and was for a short time one of the Lords of the Admiralty. His son John Vaughan (1670?-1721) was created in 1695 baron of Fethard, county Tipperary and Viscount Lisburne. His two sons - John Vaughan and Wilmot Vaughan - were successively the second and the third Viscount Lisburne. Both of these were in turn lords lieutenant of Cardiganshire. Wilmot Vaughan, the son of Wilmot Vaughan, was created the Earl of Lisburne in 1776. His brother Sir John Vaughan (1748?-1795) served in Germany, America and the West Indies. He was also governor of Berwick, commander of the Leeward Islands and he died at Martinique. The second Earl of Lisburne, Wilmot Vaughan, died unmarried in 1820 and was succeeded by his half-brother John Vaughan (1769-1831), the third Earl of Lisburne, who was a colonel in the army and was the MP for Cardiganshire from 1796 until 1818.
Scope and content/abstract: The collection comprises estate and family records, 1184-1939, of the Vaughan family of Crosswood/Trawsgoed, later the Earls of Lisburne, relating to properties in a very large number of parishes in the county of Cardigan. There are a large number of title deeds relating to properties in the parishes of Aberystwyth, Cilcennin, Cwmystwyth, Dihewid, Gwnnws, Llanafan, Llanbadarn Fawr, Llanbadarn Trefeglwys, Llanddewi Aberarth, Llanddewi Brefi, Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn, Llanfihangel Ystrad, Llanilar, Llanrhystud, Lledrod, Tregaron, Ysbyty Ystwyth and Ystrad Meurig. The archive consists of mainly title deeds, but there are also rent rolls and rentals, probate documents, documents relating to tithe payments, and a small quantity of correspondence and legal papers.
Language/scripts of material: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged in two chronological series, each described in a separate volume.
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogues, both compiled by Francis Green, are available at NLW: Calendar of Deeds and Documents in the Muniment Room at Crosswood (1921) (typescript list), and Calendar of Deeds & Documents, Vol. II: the Crosswood Deeds (Aberystwyth: the National Library of Wales, 1927). The catalogue is also available online. Further details relating to manorial records within the archive are available on the Manorial Dovcuments Register, available online at http://www.mdr.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: The Crosswood Deeds were deposited in the National Library of Wales by the Earl of Lisburne.
Related material: There is further material relating to the Crosswood/Trawsgoed estate in the Roberts and Evans solicitors collection at NLW.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Complied by J. Graham Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW: Calendar of Deeds and Documents in the Muniment Room at Crosswood (1921) (typescript list), and Calendar of Deeds & Documents, Vol. II: the Crosswood Deeds (Aberystwyth: the National Library of Wales, 1927).
Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: August 2006