ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, St Michael's Church, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 ABERCH

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Aberystwyth St Michael's Church Records

Short Title: Aberystwyth, St Michael's Church, records

Creation date(s): 1762-1933

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.143 cubic metres (5 boxes)

Name of creator(s): Aberystwyth St Michael's Church

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: St Michael's Church, in the parish of Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire, was rebuilt c. 1792, following the destruction of its predecessor by the sea. This second church was built after a campaign to raise funds between c. 1762 and c. 1792. The church was rebuilt a third time c. 1830 and was in use until c. 1890, when the present church was constructed. St Mary's Welsh Church was built in 1865 to cater for Anglicans who wished to hear services in Welsh. In addition to the church buildings, the parish was responsible for constructing and managing schools: the Ysgoldy was the first Grammar School in Aberystwyth, built in 1812 by leading Anglicans; it continued into the twentieth century until the site was occupied by the parish hall, in c. 1911. Following the success of the Ysgoldy, the National School in Northgate Street was opened in 1813 and was maintained by subscriptions and church collections. In 1862, a new school building was built in North Road and continued to be used until 1955. In addition, the Penparcau National School was opened in the late nineteenth century.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Documents relating to the following church properties in the parish of Aberystwyth: St Michael's Church: documents, letters and plans relating to the building of the successive churches, commencing with a list of subscribers towards the first church, 1762; an historical account of the Church, legal papers relating to building land, the right of presentation, consecration of the church, etc.; letters and plans concerning the building of a sea wall, 1832-1833; extracts from wills containing legacies to the Church and to the poor of the parish; rate books, 1816-1855: St Mary's Welsh Church: lists of subscribers, accounts, and minute book of meetings, 1851-1863: The National Schools: minute books from 1813, and teachers' agreements: The Ysgoldy and the Parish Hall: letters, 1903-1911 (several from the Welsh Department of the Board of Education), minute book of the Parish Hall Building Committee, 1911-1915, bills and receipts, [c. 1911]: Penparcau National School: minutes of meetings of the Trustees, 1898-1925; and letters, 1900-1910. The archive also contains letters and newspaper cuttings relating to Downie's Bequest, 1859-1913, and several miscellaneous items not directly connected with the parish of Aberystwyth, 1792-1920.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: St Michaels; St Mary's Welsh Church; The Ysgoldy; National School, Aberystwyth; National School, Penparcau; the Downie bequest; and miscellanea.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales.

Detailed catalogue

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at the National Library of Wales have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are possible.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the vicar and churchwardens of the parish of Aberystwyth, 1933.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further material relating to St Michael's are National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth Parochial Records.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Lewis, W. J., A Fashionable Watering Place: Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth, 1997); Jenkins, Geraint H. and Ieuan Gwynedd Jones (eds.), Cardiganshire County History: Volume 3 (Cardiganshire in modern times) (Cardiff, 1998).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: August 2003


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Church buildings | Wales | Aberystwyth
Church schools | Wales | Aberystwyth
Churches | Design and construction | Wales | Aberystwyth
Eglwys y Santes Fair (Aberystwyth, Wales) | Archives
Schools | Wales | Aberystwyth
St Michael's Church (Aberystwyth, Wales) | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Aberystwyth National School (Aberystwyth, Wales)
Eglwys y Santes Fair (Aberystwyth, Wales)
Penparcau National School (Aberystwyth, Wales)
St Michael’s Church (Aberystwyth, Wales)
Ysgoldy (Aberystwyth, Wales)

Places
Aberystwyth (Wales)
Cardiganshire (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details