ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth Borough Council, water supplies records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 ABWASU

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Aberystwyth Borough Council: Water Supplies Records

Short Title: Aberystwyth Borough Council, water supplies records

Creation date(s): 1913-1953

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.018 cubic metres (2 boxes)

Name of creator(s): Aberystwyth Borough Council

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Aberystwyth was one of a number of towns across England and Wales which established an elected borough council in the wake of the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. Another local Act, passed in the same year, saw the establishment of Town Improvement Commissioners whose responsibilities included lighting, sanitation and the supply of water for Aberystwyth. In 1837 a reservoir was built at Brynymor Dingle and, following the drought of 1844, additional supplies were obtained by tapping springs near Plas Crug. Water was pumped to Brynymor by a steam pump, a system which remained until the 1880s.
A new waterworks was built to meet increasing demand following the Aberystwyth Improvement and Water Act of 1872, and in 1873 the powers of the Town Improvement Commissioners were transferred to the Council. The Brynymor Reservoir and other existing sources proved inadequate in supplying the town's growing population and the Council decided to transport water from Llyn Llygad Rheidol to Aberystwyth through a line of underground pipes from 1880. During the 1930s corrosion in the pipes affected this supply. The Aberystwyth Rural District Council (RDC), which was experiencing a shortage of supply in its own area, offered to contribute to the cost of renewing the pipes in exchange for a supply of water, but this scheme was rejected by the Borough Council. The Aberystwyth Rural District Council Act 1937 enabled the RDC to obtain water from the Llyn Craig y Pistyll reservoir instead, built c . 1877, and later provided additional supplies to the borough during the Second World War. Water shortages in the summer months by 1960 compelled the Borough and Rural District Councils to plan the transportation of water from Llyn Llygad Rheidol to Llyn Craig-y-Pistyll and on to the new filter plant at Bontgoch. Work on this scheme was completed in 1967 by the Cardiganshire Water Board which was formed in 1962 and administered the water supply for the town and surrounding area. This, in turn, was taken over in 1974 by the Welsh Water Authority.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The fonds comprises manuscript, typescript and printed material, including copies of acts or bills, correspondence, reports, etc., relating to Aberystwyth Borough and Rural District Councils Water Supplies.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: The records received were mostly disordered. They have been arranged at NLW into four series according to types of records, namely correspondence, reports, consultation and discussion papers, agenda and minutes of meetings, acts and bills.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright rules apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at NLW.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history: It appears that these records were accumulated by Aberystwyth Community Council. However, some may have been acquired by Councillor P. B. Loveday, to whom several letters are addressed and whose name appears on a number of documents. Loveday, who was a member of the Aberystwyth Borough Council, served as Mayor, Chairman of the Public Works Committee, and Chairman of the Finance Committee, and was a member of the committee concerned with the Rural District Council Bill and the Borough Council's opposition to it.

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Aberystwyth Community Council in July 1976.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Engineer and Surveyor's Report to the Water and Sewerage Committee and the Finance, Health and Housing Committee of Aberystwyth Rural District Council, 1949-1974, is NLW ex 1065.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Aberystwyth Water Supplies

Archivist's note: Compiled by Siân Bowyer.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this list: W. J. Lewis, Born on a perilous rock (Aberystwyth, 1980), and Howard C. Jones, Aberystwyth borough 1277-1974 (Aberystwyth, [1974]).

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: January 1999.


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Water-supply | Wales | Aberystwyth

Personal names

Corporate names
Aberystwyth (Wales) | Borough Council
Aberystwyth (Wales) | Rural District Council

Places
Aberystwyth (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details