ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green, Llangennith, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 BETHBG

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: CMA: Records of Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green, Llangennith

Short Title: Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green, Llangennith, records

Creation date(s): 1951

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.009 cubic metres (1 vol.)

Name of creator(s): Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green, Llangennith

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green, was built in 1813 or 1814 by Diana, Baroness Barham (d. 1823), who also built and established other chapels and schools in the area. During the first years, the Chapel was supplied by ministers of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, staying for about two months at a time. The Rev. William Griffiths, the 'father' of Calvinistic Methodism in Gower, was appointed minister of the Chapel in 1824 under the patronage of Lord Barham, and remained there until his death in 1861. The Chapel forms part of the Swansea and Gower District in Glamorgan Presbytery West.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The fonds comprises a marriage register of Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green, Llangennith, containing a single entry for 1951.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of this list is available in CMA: Records of Welsh Chapels in NLW 2001-.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Reverend Tudor Lloyd, The Manse, Burry Green, Gower, Swansea, June 2001.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: NLW, CMA 9 contains a register of baptisms, 1815-1861, register of members, 1825-1858, and an account of deaths and burials of Church members, 1823-1860. Chapel accounts are in CMA EZ1/358/1.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Merfyn Tomos and Alwyn J. Roberts.
The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Bethesda Chapel Presbyterian Church of Wales, Burry Green, 1813-1963 (Swansea, 1963).

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2003.


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green (Llangennith, Wales) | Archives
Calvinistic Methodists | Wales | Burry Green
Dissenters, Religious | Wales | Burry Green | Registers
Religious institutions | Wales | Burry Green

Personal names

Corporate names
Bethesda Chapel, Burry's Green (Llangennith, Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details