ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Glanyrafon estate, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 GLAFON

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Glanyrafon Estate Records

Short Title: Glanyrafon estate, records

Creation date(s): 1559-1927

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: (c. 460 items)

Name of creator(s): Glanyrafon estate, Denbighshire

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Glanyrafon estate was formed and extended through a combination of inheritances and purchases. Before 1804, a great part of the estate belonged to the Price family of Lloran Isaf, Denbighshire. Maurice ap Robert ap William acquired lands in Lloran in 1559 by a grant from the Earl of Leicester, which was then inherited by the Griffith branch of the family. Following the pre-nuptial settlement, dated 1730, of Jane Griffith and Robert Powell the land devolved upon the Powell family. In 1804 a deed of partition was executed to the effect that the Llansilin portion of the estate was settled for the use of Lawton Parry of Oldport, and the Welshpool portion was settled, according to the will of Robert Lloyd of Swanhill, Shropshire, in trust to Watkin Williams for the use of Jane and Annabella Lloyd.
By the beginning of the nineteenth century the Glanyrafon estate formed a greater part of the township of Bryn in the parish of Llanyblodwel, Shropshire. A mansion house was erected at this time by the then owner, Lawton Parry, sheriff of Montgomery in 1795, and mayor of Oswestry in 1802. After his death in 1820, the estate was devised to his sister Margaret Parry, the last member of the family. Following her death in 1827, the property was devised in trust to John Hamer, son of David Hamer of The Weeg, Montgomeryshire, by his then wife, Mary (nee Lloyd), who died upon the birth of her son in 1824. David Hamer was appointed guardian and trustee to John Hamer, and according to the will of Margaret Parry, lands in the township of Hem, Montgomeryshire, and the township of Marton, Shropshire, were devised to the use of David Hamer during his life, but most lands in Denbighshire, Shropshire and Montgomeryshire were devised to John Hamer. Other lands in the parish of Meifod, Montgomeryshire, had been inherited by Jenkin Parry through the will of Robert Parry of Kynnant, 1743, and devolved upon Lawton Parry and later upon John Hamer as part of the Glanyrafon estate.
John Parry Hamer inherited the estate after his father's death, and continued to purchase lands including Garth Fach, Cefn y Braich, Priddbwll and Woodhill in Denbighshire, Shropshire and Montgomeryshire. He died in 1901 seised in fee simple of a considerable part of the property which was then devised to his son, Captain John Lawton Parry Hamer.
Most of the Glanyrafon estate was sold after the death of John Lawton Parry Hamer in 1939, although parts of the estate had been previously sold, including Lloran Uchaf and Cefnymaes in 1912, and parts of the Glanyrafon farm in 1914.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The archive comprises almost entirely of deeds, 1559-1927, relating mainly to the Glanyrafon and Bronheulog estates in the parishes of Llansilin and Llangedwyn, Denbighshire, and to properties in Montgomeryshire and Shropshire.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into bundles by record type or specific property.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at NLW and HMC. This catalogue can be accessed on-line accessed from http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at NLW by Messrs T. L. and W. Edgar Hale, per Messrs Longueville & Co., solicitors, Oswestry, in January 1940.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham.
The following source was used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Catalogue of the Glanyrafon Estate Papers.

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: August 2001


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names
Hamer family , of Glanyrafon

Corporate names
Bronheulog Estate (Wales)
Glanyrafon Estate (Denbighshire, Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details