ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Noyadd Trefawr estate, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 NOYAWR

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Noyadd Trefawr Estate Records

Short Title: Noyadd Trefawr estate, records

Creation date(s): 1395-1914 (predominantly 1530-1860)

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.458 cubic metres (16 boxes, 3 rolls)

Name of creator(s): Noyadd Trefawr estate

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Noyadd Trefawr is in the parish of Llandygwyd, Cardiganshire. The first known occupant of Noyadd Trefawr was Rhys Dafydd Llwyd, who married Alson ferch Rhys ap Rhydderch. Their daughter and co-heir, Dyddgu, married Thomas ap Harri ap Philip of Blaen Cuch, descendant of Rhys Chwith, esquire of the body to Edward I. David Thomas Parry (fl. 1589-1621), Rhys's son, was the first of the family to take a surname. He was sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1605, 1617 and 1621. His eldest son David Parry predeceased his father, and he was succeeded by another David Parry (c. 1641-1664), the eldest son of his brother, John Parry (d. 1651) of Dolyfonddu, Montgomeryshire.
David Parry married Elizabeth, heiress of Thomas Parry of Plas Newydd in the parish of St Dogmaels. Her inheritance, and purchases, added to the estate, one of the largest in Cardiganshire, which now included Cilgerran, Fforest, the manor of St Dogmaels, lands in the parishes of Clydai, Ferwig and Llanfyrnach, and the tithes of Cennarth, Cilfowyr and Llangolman. David and Elizabeth were succeeded by their son David Parry (dsp. 1711), sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1685, who was succeeded by one of his four sisters, Anne, who had married her cousin Stephen Parry (c. 1675-1724, dsp.) of Rhydymendi, the grandson of John Parry of Dolyfonddu above. Stephen Parry was sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1720 and MP for the Cardigan Boroughs 1715-1724.
Stephen and Anne were succeeded by David Parry (d. 1753), the son of Stephen's sister Susan, the wife of William Parry of Nevern. David Parry married Frances (d. c. 1792), the daughter and heir of Kedgwin Webley (d. 1773) of Chancery Lane, London. The only change in the Noyadd estate from this point is a gradual dispersion of the estate as out-lying parts were sold to meet financial demands. David and Frances were succeeded by their only child and heir, another Frances (dsp. 1815), who had married in 1768 with Marmaduke Gwynne (d. 1784) of Garth, Breconshire. Frances Gwynne bequeathed the estate to her cousin, Rear-Admiral William Henry Webley (d. 1837), who added Parry to his surname.
The admiral was responsible for the substantial Georgian rebuilding of the existing Elizabethan mansion, and it was this which was largely responsible for driving the estate into debt, mainly to Thomas Davies of Bridge House, Cardigan. The admiral sold land and property, but by 1828 the estate had a rental of £2,000 and debts of £18,000. In 1837, William Henry Webley-Parry (1803-1853) inherited his father's estates and his debts. By 1839 the estate had shrunk to less than 1,000 acres all in the parish of Llandygwydd.
William Henry Webley-Parry was succeeded by his son David Kedgwin William Webley-Parry (1833-1870), who married in 1861 with Nina Catherine (d. 1917), the daughter of Count Demetrios de Palatine of Corfu. He was succeeded by his only surviving child, Nina Catherine Angharad (1858-1954), who married in 1891 with Edward John Pryse (1862-1918), son and eventual heir of Sir Pryse Pryse of Gogerddan, and who added Webley-Parry to his surname. Sir Edward John Webley-Parry-Pryse and Nina his wife died without issue.
The Lewes family of Gellidywyll has no link with family of Noyadd Fawr apart from that the fact that the estate and family records of both families became inextricably bound together.
James Lewes (d. c. 1599) of Abernantbychan in the parish of Penbryn, Cardiganshire, was the son of Lewes David ap Meredydd (fl. 1542-1564) of Penbryn. By his first marriage James had one son, also called James Lewes, the founder of the Lewes family of Gellidywyll in the parish of Cenarth, Carmarthenshire. Abernantbychan and most of his father's lands passed to the eldest son of the second marriage, Sir John Lewes (fl. 1601-1652). The Lewes family retained possession of the Gellidywyll estate until the family failed when Thomas Lewes and his brother John Lewes (1743-1795) died of West Indian fever within days of each other. Gellidywyll was inherited by a distant cousin, William Owen Brigstocke (1761-1831) of Blaen-pant in the parish of Llandygwydd, Cardiganshire, and was eventually sold by his grandson, William Owen Brigstocke, to Lord Cawdor.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Estate and family records of Parry, later Webley-Parry, later Webley-Parry-Pryse, of Noyadd Trefawr, Cardiganshire, including Noyadd Trefawr and Gellidywyll deeds, 1396-1868, rentals of the Noyadd estate, 1778-1860, and Noyadd estate correspondence, 1808-1902, personal papers of Thomas Lewes, post-1747-[c. 1781], including notes on Saxony compiled 1776-1778 during Sir John Stepney's mission to Dresden, 1776-1782, and Dol-gwm deeds, 1590-1703.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Latin, French

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following sections: Gellydywyll deeds and documents, personal papers of Thomas Lewes, Dol-gwm deeds, Noyadd Trefawr and Gellydywyll deeds, Noyadd Trefawr deeds and documents, Noyadd deeds, Noyadd rentals, Noyadd miscellanea , Noyadd correspondence, and Webley deeds and documents. The small group of Noyadd Trefawr papers deposited by Morgan Richardson, solicitors, have been arranged into two sections: deeds and miscellanea.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at NLW and HMC. An on-line catalogue can be accessed from http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: The Gellidywyll estate records appear to have become united with the Noyadd Trefawr estate records quite fortuitously. After the extinction of the Lewes family of Gellidywyll in 1795, the estate was inherited by a distant cousin, William Owen Brigstocke of Blaenpant. His eldest son, also called William Owen Brigstocke (1781-1861, dsp.), married as his second wife, Maria (d. 1898), the third daughter of Admiral William Henry Webley-Parry (d. 1837) of Noyadd Trefawr. After her husband's death, Maria continued to live at Blaenpant until her own death. In the meantime, Gellidywyll was sold to Lord Cawdor, but apparently without the Lewes family papers. William Henry Webley-Parry, son of the admiral and brother of Maria, died in 1853, causing an upheaval at Noyadd Trefawr, including the sale of the contents of the house. In 1856 the young heir of Noyadd Trefawr entrusted the management of the estate to Ellen Webley-Parry, his unmarried aunt, the sister of Maria. In 1858 the house and demense of Noyadd Trefawr were let out on a seven year lease, and in 1861 Ellen dated a letter from Blaenpant. Having left the family home, Ellen had probably gone to live with her sister Maria, and taken the Noyadd muniments with her, where they became mixed with the Gellidywyll muniments. The Williams family of Abercothi and Dol-gwm deeds appear to have joined the Gellidywyll deeds by accident in the lifetime of Mary (d. post-1755), daughter and coheir of Rees Evans of Talybont. Her first husband was James Lewes (d. c. 1695) of Gellidywyll, and her second husband was John Williams (d. 1703), son of James Williams of Dol-gwm. She had children by both marriages, and was still living at Gellidywyll in 1755, over fifty years after the death of her second husband. She probably kept the Williams papers relating to her interests and those of her children with her.

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Miss F. N. Norman of Noyadd Trefawr in 1955 with an additional deposit by Morgan Richardson, Cardigan, solicitors, in 1957.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further deeds, documents and papers relating to the Brigstocke family of Noyadd Trefawr, 1860-1889, are NLW, W. Evans George & Sons, 455-97. Further papers relating to the Lewes and Brigstocke families of Gellidywyll, mainly bills and receipts, 1571-1796 and 1827-39, are NLW, W. Evans George & Sons, 353-82, 845-51, 1659-96, 3086A-4408. Further papers relating to the wider Brigstocke family of Blaenpant are Carmarthenshire Archive Service, Brigstocke Papers and Cawdor Vaughan Muniments, and NLW, Brigstocke Papers and W. Evans George & Sons (Solicitors), and Griffith E. Owen (Solicitors). The latter remains uncatalogued.

Publication note: Huws, Daniel, 'Deposited collections, 34: Noyadd Trefawr deeds and documents', National Library of Wales Journal, vol. XII (1961-62), pp. 379-87.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Catalogue of Noyadd Trefawr Deeds and Documents ; Meyrick, Samuel Rush, Heraldic Visitations of Wales (Llandovery, 2 vols, 1846), vol. 1; Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their families (Newport, 1997); and Jones, Francis, Historic Cardiganshire Homes and their families (Newport, 2000).

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2001


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Estate administration | Wales | Ceredigion
Farm rents | Wales | Ceredigion
Germany | Foreign relations | Great Britain
Great Britain | Foreign relations | Germany
Lewes family, | of Gellidywyll | Archives
Noyadd Trefawr Estate (Wales) | Archives
Saxony (Germany) | Description and travel
Webley-Parry family, | of Noyadd Trefawr | Archives

Personal names
Lewes , Thomas , 1742-1795
Lewes family , of Abernantbychan and Hean Castle
Lewes family , of Gellidywyll
Parry family , of Noyadd Trefawr
Webley-Parry family , of Noyadd Trefawr
Webley-Parry-Pryse family , of Gogerddan and Noyadd Trefawr

Corporate names
Abernantbychan Estate (Wales)
Dolgwm Estate (Wales)
Gellidywyll Estate (Wales)
Noyadd Trefawr Estate (Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details