ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Neuadd-fawr estate, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 NEUAWR

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Neuadd-fawr Estate Records

Short Title: Neuadd-fawr estate, records

Creation date(s): 1554-1915 (predominantly 1700-1900)

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: c. 700 items

Name of creator(s): Neuadd-fawr estate, Carmarthenshire

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The earliest papers in the archive relates to the Maescadog estate, Cynwyl Gaeo, Carmarthenshire. In 1655, this estate was mortgaged to Thomas John Thomas, and again in 1678. John Thomas [John] bequeathed Maescadog to his second son Richard Jones, whose post-nuptial settlement with Mary, only child of David Hugh of Cil-y-cwm, Carmarthenshire, is dated 1682. It is at this point that Maescadog and Neuadd-fawr were joined. By 1694, Richard Jones was living at Neuadd-fawr, but he continued to farm Maescadog. His will was proved in 1713.
He was succeeded by his eldest son, Richard Jones, who married Joan Jones in 1721. Their daughter, Joan, married in 1770, but died without issue. The Neuadd-fawr estate therefore passed to her auntie Joan Jones, daughter of Richard Jones (d. 1713), who had married William David of Maes-Moy, who subsequently appears to have changed his surname to Davys.
The Neuadd-fawr family gained possession of the Dôl-coed estate in Breconshire through the marriage of William Davys and Elizabeth Jones of Dôl-coed in 1765. After her death, William returned to Cencoed in Caeo, and in 1774 married Ann King of Llangathen. Captain Richard Davys of Neuadd-fawr, son of William Davys and Ann King, died without issue. Neuadd-fawr passed to his half-sister, Mary Davys, the daughter of William Davys and Elizabeth Jones. Mary married the Rev. David Harries, rector of Meline, Pembrokeshire. Their son, William Davys Harries Campbell-Davys (b. 1812) on his marriage to Elizabeth Jane Campbell, daughter of Peter Campbell, of Askomel, Kintyre, in 1847, altered his surname to Campbell-Davys. Ivor Elystan Campbell-Davys was living in Neuadd-fawr in 1941.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Deeds, 1554-1915, relating to the Neuadd-fawr estates in Breconshire, Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire and Radnorshire; together with some papers relating to the development of Llanwrtyd Wells, Breconshire, as a spa in the nineteenth century.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Latin

System of arrangement: Deeds and documents are arranged chronologically.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at NLW.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr I.E. Campbell-Davys of Neuadd-fawr, per Mr G.C. Porter in September 1941, followed by a deposit of a pedigree by Miss G. E. Campbell-Davys, Abermarlais Park, in May 1976 (now NLW Misc. Records 331).

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Eleven maps and plans, 1785-1888, numbered 716-726 and described in the typescript schedule of the Neuadd-fawr Deeds and Documents, have been transferred to the NLW Map Collection. A pedigree, [1850x1859], deposited in 1976 by Miss G.E. Campbell-Davys, of the families of Johnes of Dolau Cothi, Campbell-Davys of Neuadd-fawr, and related families, in the hand of Lady Hills-Johnes of Dolau Cothi, co. Carmarthen, is NLW Misc. Records 331.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales (London, 2 vols, 1872), vol. 1; Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their families (Newport, 1997).

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2001


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Davys family, | of Neuadd-fawr | Archives
Deeds | Wales | Breconshire
Deeds | Wales | Carmarthenshire
Deeds | Wales | Ceredigion
Deeds | Wales | Radnorshire
Health resorts | Wales | Llanwrtyd Wells
Jones family, | of Neuadd-fawr | Archives
Neuadd-fawr Estate (Carmarthenshire, Wales) | Archives

Personal names
Campbell-Davys family , of Neuadd-fawr
Davys family , of Neuadd-fawr
Jones family , of Neuadd-fawr

Corporate names
Dôl-coed Estate (Wales)
Neuadd-fawr Estate (Carmarthenshire, Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details