ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Lockwood estate, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 LOCKWOOD

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Lockwood Estate Records

Short Title: Lockwood estate, records

Creation date(s): 1564-1905

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.41 cubic metres (45 boxes, 1 volume)

Name of creator(s): Lockwood estate

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Wood family of Perth in Scotland was a branch of the ancient Wood family of Largo. In the late 18 and early 19 centuries several members of the Wood family of Perth rose to high rank in the military and moved to the south of England, including Mark Wood (1750-1829). He was a colonel in the British and the East India Company's service, chief engineer of Bengal, and MP for Gatton in Surrey (one of the rotten boroughs), Milbourne Port in Somerset, and Newark in Nottinghamshire. He attempted to become MP for Monmouthshire, buying the Piercefield estate, which became his seat from 1794 to 1800, and buying further properties in Monmouthshire and Glamorgan in the period 1803-1807. He was described as of Llandaf Court, Glamorgan, in 1806, and of Gatton Park, Surrey, in 1807.

Mark Wood became the male representative of the Wood family of Largo in 1777 on the death without male issue of his cousin John Wood (1722-1777), governor of the Isle of Man. He was created a baronet, Sir Mark Wood of Gatton Park, in 1808, and was granted his cousin's arms in 1809.

Sir Mark Wood's second, but only surviving son, Sir Mark Wood (1794-1837) of Pall Mall, Middlesex, and of Hare Park, Cambridgeshire, 2nd baronet, died without issue, when the baronetcy became extinct. He was succeeded by his two sisters, one of whom, Rachel, married William Joseph Lockwood of Dews Hall Park, Essex. Their eldest son, William Mark Lockwood (d. 1883) took the name and arms of Wood by royal licence in 1838, pursuant to his uncle's will. He bought further properties in Monmouthshire and Glamorgan, 1839-1849, and also inherited the Lambourne estate in Essex from his uncle, Edward Lockwood Percival (d. 1842).

William was succeeded by his son Amelius Richard Mark Wood (1847-1928) of Bishops Hall, Lambourne, Essex, who had reassumed the surname Lockwood on his marriage in 1876. He was Conservative MP for Epping 1892-1917, and was created Baron Lambourne in 1917. He died without issue in 1928, when the barony became extinct. His Essex estate was sold in 1929.

There are no clues among the estate papers as to the fate of the Welsh estate, but notices of land required by railway companies and public bodies, 1893-1904, testify that the Lockwood family then had interests in the parishes of Cantref, Defynnog, Llanfrynach and Llansbyddyd in Breconshire, in Cardiff, Merthyr Tudful and Roath in Glamorgan, and in Christchurch, Langstone, Nash, Peterstone Wentlloog and Rumney in Monmouthshire. These notices contain the only references to Breconshire in the archive.

Lieutenant-Colonel John Cutts Lockwood (1890-1983) was resident at Bishops Hall from 1930, and in 1940 he deposited the records of the Wood and Lockwood families' Welsh estates at NLW. His father was a Colonel John Lockwood, but it is not known whether he was related to Amelius Richard Mark Lockwood other than by surname. John Cutts Lockwood appears to have bought the Bishops Hall and Lambourne parts of the Lockwood estate in 1929, and perhaps the records came with that purchase, going to the purchaser of the most considerable part of the estate. Apparently he had no estate before 1929, as he appears in Kelly's Handbook for the first time in 1930. He was sometime chairman of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and Conservative MP for Hackney Central 1931-1935 and Romford 1950-1955.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records relating chiefly to the Welsh estates of the Wood / Lookwood family, comprising volumes of rentals and disbursements, 1830-1843, and manorial records, 1564-1849; about 550 autograph letters relating to the management of the Wood estates in Monmouthshire and Glamorgan, 1836-1853; over 500 deeds relating to properties in Glamorgan, Monmouthshire, Anglesey, Breconshire, Radnorshire, Surrey and Middlesex, 1640-1891; and documents relating to varous industrial activities, 1838-1905.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Latin

System of arrangement: Arranged by record type into ten series: accounts; legal and parliamentary papers; correspondence; deeds; family and personal papers; leases; manorial documents; particulars and memoranda; rentals; and surveys.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: No restrictions.

Finding aids: The catalogue can be accessed online.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by John Cutts Lockwood of Bishops Hall, Essex, in 1940.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: 'A volume of thirty-nine manuscript estate plans of properties in Monmouthshire, surveyed by Meredith Jones in 1751 and Samuel Minchel in 1788; similar, but later plans of properties in Glamorgan and Monmouthshire; and railway plans and sections' (NLW Annual Report 1939-40, p. 34) received with these papers are held in NLW Maps Collection. -- There is a file among the NLW Librarian's papers, 'Bedford and Essex Records', relating to the transfer of records from the Bedford and Essex County Record Offices, and also the Lockwood MSS from Bishops Hall, Lambourne, co. Essex, Feb. 1936-June 1940 (NLW Archive, G 5/67). -- Further papers relating to the Lockwood family are Essex Record Office, D/D Lo, Lockwood Papers. -- Records relating to the Gatton estates of the Monson family, barons Monson, 17-19 cent., and of the Wood family, baronets, 16-20 cent., are held by the Surrey Record Office. -- NLW holds sale catalogues for A. R. M. Lockwood's sales of a freehold farm, Coety, 1912 (NLW sale catalogues, Glam. 330); freehold farms, accommodation lands etc., p. Peterston-super-Ely, 1912 (Glam. 331); freehold farms, accommodation lands etc., p's Langstone, Magor, Christchurch, Llanfihangel Llantarnam and Newport, 1913 (Mon. 170); freehold farms, accommodation lands etc., co. Mon., 1913 (Mon. 177); Pen-y-graig farm, p. Merthyr Tudful, 1917 (Glam. 249); and freehold farms, accommodation lands etc., p's Peterston-super-Ely, Llantrisant and Merthyr Tudful, [n.d.] (Glam. 123).

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham. The following source were used in the compilation of this description: Montagu, Frances Mary, Memorials of the family of Wood of Largo (1863) (copy online in the Internet Archive at http://web.archive.org/web/20011106202354/http://web.ukonline.co.uk/footstepsofwood/woodlargo.html, May 2002); Dictionary of National Biography, II, 1821; Victoria County History of Essex, (London, 1956), vol. IV; Essex Record Office, Sale Catalogue A 1046; Kelly's Handbook, (London, 1930); Who Was Who, 1981-1990 (London, c, 1991); Times, obituary, 19 Jan. 1983; NLW, Working List of Lockwood Estate Records; $b May 2002; transferred to NLW's full catalogue in Jan. 2013.

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2002; Jan. 2013.


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Estate administration | Wales | Glamorgan
Estate administration | Wales | Monmouthshire

Personal names
Lockwood family , of Bishops Hall
Wood family , of Gatton Park

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details