ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Llwyndyrys estate, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 LLWRYS

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Llwyndyrys Estate Records

Short Title: Llwyndyrys estate, records

Creation date(s): 1730-1923

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.086 cubic metres (2 boxes)

Name of creator(s): Llwyndyrys estate

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Llwyndyrys in Cardiganshire was owned by the Symmons family during the 18th century. Among the properties that formed part of the estate in 1749 were Stradmore, Ddôl, Penlan, Berllan, the manor of Llandygwydd, and messuages called Llwyndyrys, Scotland, and Henbant, all in the parish of Llandygwydd.
In 1800 under an Act of Parliament for the redemption of Land Tax, the bishop of St David's sold the manor and lordship of Llwyndyrys to the Rev. Thomas Griffith, Prebendary of Llandygwydd. He died in 1813. In 1872 Llwyndyrys was owned by Charles Marshal Griffith and Sarah Anna Griffith. In 1920 it was owned by Major John Hugh Sandham Marshal Griffith, second son of the late Charles Marshal Griffith. The estate was purchased in 1924 by Sir John Lynn Thomas, owner of Stradmore.
The Ddôl estate, which formed part of the Llwyndyrys estate in the 18th century was leased by the Rev. Charles Symmons to Sylvanus Nugent of Penygored, Cilgerran, Pembrokeshire, in 1783. In 1787 Nugent conveyed Ddôl to John Forester of the Foreign, Walsall, Staffordshire, and William Davies of Clun Meredydd, parish of Whitchurch, Pembrokeshire. After numerous mortgages, Ddôl, or Thornville as it became known, was owned by Metcalf Graham Steele. The name of Ddôl was restored by Sir Henry Strachey, of Sutton Court, Somerset.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Deeds and documents relating to the Llwyndyrys estate and other properties in the parish of Llandygwydd, Cardiganshire, 1730-1923, including the Ddôl estate.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into six series: deeds relating to Ddôl; deeds relating to Coynant; deeds relating to Clynllan; deeds relating to Llwyndyrys and Manor of Llandygwydd; abstracts of title; and loose documents

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at NLW. An online catalogue can be accessed from http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: The 1931 deposit has been retained at NLW. The June 1937 deposit was returned to Sir John Lynn Thomas on 3 August 1937.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Sir John Lynn Thomas, Llwyndyrys, Llechryd, in November 1931 and June 1937.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of Llwyndyrys Estate Records; Jones, Francis, Historic Cardiganshire Homes and their families (Newport, 2000).

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: November 2002


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Ddôl Estate (Llandygwydd, Cardiganshire, Wales) | Archives
Llwyndyrys Estate (Wales) | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Ddôl Estate (Llandygwydd, Cardiganshire, Wales)
Llwyndyrys Estate (Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details