ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Cilwendeg estate, deeds

Reference code(s): GB 0210 CILWEND

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: Cilwendeg Estate Deeds

Short Title: Cilwendeg estate, deeds

Creation date(s): 1625-1883

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 56 items

Name of creator(s):

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Jacob Morgan was living at Cilwendeg, Pembrokeshire, in 1710. He died in 1733 and Cilwendeg passed to his youngest daughter, Margaret Morgan, who married John Jones of Llanbadarn, Cardiganshire. Morgan Jones, possibly the last male descendant of the family to own Cilwendeg, was also the owner of the Skerries Lighthouse in Anglesey. In 1844, Margaretta Sutton Jones of Cilwendeg married Mark Anthony Saurin, who, in 1857, purchased the Orielton estate, Pembrokeshire.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Deeds relating to the Cilwendeg estate, Pembrokeshire, 1625-1883, and to the Skerries lighthouse, Anglesey.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue, under the former title Penally Collection, is available at NLW. An on-line catalogue under the current title, Cilwendeg, can be accessed from http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records donated to NLW have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Donated by Major W.M. Saurin, Penally Abbey, Pembrokeshire, in 1942.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Previously called Penally Collection. Title based on contents; previous title based on residence of depositor.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of Penally Collection; Jones, Francis, Historic Pembrokeshire Homes and their families (Newport, 1996).

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: November 2002


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Lighthouses | Wales | Anglesey

Personal names
Jones family , of Cilwendeg

Corporate names
Cilwendeg Estate (Wales)
Skerries Rock (Wales : Lighthouse)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details