ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Delamere Chapel, Cheshire, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 DLMERE

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: CMA: Records of Delamere Chapel, Cheshire

Short Title: Delamere Chapel, Cheshire, records

Creation date(s): 1902-1971

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.01 cubic metres (1 box, 1 outsize volume)

Name of creator(s): Delamere Chapel, Cheshire

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Delamere Presbyterian Church was one of the chapels of the Rev. Philip Oliver's Calvinistic Methodist Connection.
This Cheshire Methodist connection was founded by the Rev. Philip Oliver (1764-1800), an evangelical Anglican minister. He was a friend of the Rev. Thomas Charles of Bala, and he and other Welsh Calvinistic Methodist ministers who could preach in English assisted in the work. The connection was put on a formal footing shortly before Philip Oliver's death, when Thomas Charles and two others were given complete oversight and management. Until 1813 the connection's ministers and lay preachers continued to be supplied by the Welsh Methodists, with some from the Church of England and Lady Huntingdon's Connection, but for the next forty years they appointed their own ministers. In 1853 the connection and its six chapels, comprising Octagon (Chester), Ebenezer (Waverton, closed 1982), Tarvin (closed and sold pre-1892), Delamere, Saighton and Cotebrook, were received into the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Connection.
Delamere Presbyterian Church closed in 1971.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The fonds comprises records of Delamere Presbyterian Church, comprising a marriage register, 1902-1966, a minute book, 1934-1968, and four account books, 1932-1971. Most of the accounts are totalled or balanced at the end of the year, and signed off by the auditor or the presbytery visitors.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically at NLW in six files.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.

Finding aids:

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mrs Gwawr Booth, Wrexham, December 2002.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham.
The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Dean, Walter, Waverton Presbyterian Church: formed in the year 1849: history of the church given at the centenary commemoration meeting held on Wednesday, October 19th, 1949.

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2003.


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Calvinistic Methodists | England | Delamere (Cheshire)
Delamere Presbyterian Church (Cheshire, England) | Archives
Religious institutions | England | Delamere (Cheshire)

Personal names

Corporate names
Calvinistic Methodist Connection of the Rev. Philip Oliver
Delamere Presbyterian Church (Cheshire, England)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details