ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church, Cardiff, records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 MEMHALL

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: CMA: Records of Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church, Cardiff

Short Title: Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church, Cardiff, records

Creation date(s): 1984-1994

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.009 cubic metres (1 box)

Name of creator(s): Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church, Cardiff

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The original church preceding Memorial Hall was founded in 1891 by Dr John Pugh and the Rev. Seth Joshua, existing first in a tent in Neville Street, Cardiff. It was successively housed in a wooden shed and in the upper room of an undertaker's workshop. The need for proper accommodation led to the erection of the Small Hall on the site of a house called King's Castle. The large Memorial Hall, named in memory of David Davies of Llandinam, and the shops which shared the building in Cowbridge Road, were completed in 1893. Further additions included an organ, installed in 1909, and an Institute adjoining the other buildings in 1914. Celebrations to mark the fortieth anniversary of the church were held in 1931 and a fifty year jubilee in 1941. The church closed in 1994, when it was suggested that the congregation should transfer to Saltmead Hall.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Two files of letters and other papers relating to the site of the Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church, Cowbridge Road, Canton, Cardiff, and to a house owned by the Church, 1984-1991 and 1992-1994.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged as a single series of letters and related papers with files in chronological order.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the list is available in CMA: Records of Welsh Chapels in NLW 2001-

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All of the papers deposited at NLW have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Rev. Glaslyn Bowen, Aberdare per the Rev. J. E. Wynne Davies, Aberystwyth, July 2003.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Registers, 1891-1936, annual reports, 1926-1930, and miscellaneous papers relating to the history and administration of the chapel are at NLW: CMA II/E86/1-7, CMA III/AZ3/409, CMA III/EZ1/359/1-11, CMA III/HZ1/17/25, XBX 9102 C127.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Hilary A. Peters.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Report of the Memorial Hall (Forward Movement) Presbyterian Church of Wales, Cowbridge Road, Cardiff, for the year ended Dec. 31st 1930 (printed 1931); and 1891-1941 Jubilee of Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church, Cowbridge Road, Cardiff, Celebrations Souvenir (printed 1941); CMA: Records of Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church, Cardiff.

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: July 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Calvinistic Methodists | Wales | Cardiff
Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church (Cardiff, Wales) | Archives
Religious institutions | Wales | Cardiff

Personal names

Corporate names
Memorial Hall Presbyterian Church (Cardiff, Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details