ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
Waddingham, T. J., papers

Reference code(s): GB 0210 TJWHAM

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: T. J. Waddingham Papers

Short Title: Waddingham, T. J., papers

Creation date(s): 1794-1910

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.029 cubic metres (1 box)

Name of creator(s): Waddingham family


Administrative/Biographical history: In 1783 the Hafod estate, Cardiganshire, was inherited by Thomas Johnes, who created the picturesque landscape for which the estate is best remembered. After his death, the estate was purchased by Henry Pelham, 4th Duke of Newcastle, (1785-1851). In 1846, the Duke sold it to Sir Henry Hoghton of Hoghton Tower, Lancashire. After building a superb mansion, he sold the estate at auction in 1855. The new owner was William Chambers, (1809-1882), a prominent Liberal and industrialist from Llanelli, Carmarthenshire. Due to financial difficulties, Chambers put the Hafod estate up for auction in 1864, but only the outlying parts were sold. In 1872, Hafod was sold to John Waddingham of Guiting Grange, near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. He reorganised the house and created new plantations of European larch, and bought back the Devil's Bridge portion of the estate that had been sold by Chambers. After John Waddingham's death in 1890, Hafod was inherited by his younger son, Thomas James Waddingham (1840-1938). He married Sarah, daughter of James Davies of Ffosrhydgaled, in 1883. In the early 20th century, Waddingham was active in encouraging the Vale of Rheidol Railway scheme. His interest in the estate declined, especially after his wife's death in 1910. In 1929, the uplands were leased to the Forestry Commission. He died in 1939. Ten years later, the house was gutted when an auction of fixtures and fittings was held, and in the following year most of the demesne and outlying areas were acquired for the Forestry Commission.


Scope and content/abstract: Stray papers of the Waddingham family, some of which relate to the Hafod estate, Cardiganshire, 1794-1910, including transcriptions, 1794, of notes on lead mines by Lewis Morris; cost and contract books of Bwlchyranos and South Hafod Lead Mines, 1859-1868; printed Cardiganshire election registers, 1862-1865; miscellaneous press cuttings collected by T. J. Waddingham; estate administration records, including agreements to sell timber for shipbuilding from the Hafod Estate by William Chambers, 1857, and papers relating to water supply and railways; return of copies of a crown land survey adjacent to Hafod, 1845; and various printed pamphlets.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged as NLW Minor Deposits 574B-585B, in four series: mining records comprising a miscellaneous volume, and contract books of Bwlchyranos and South Hafod lead mines; Cardiganshire election registers; press cuttings and an exercise book; and general Hafod estate administration records with associated printed material.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales. The catalogue can be accessed online. The call numbers for the items in this collection are NLW, Minor Deposits, 574B-585B.


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at the National Library of Wales have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr H. V. Morris-Davies, Aberystwyth, executor of the late T. J. Waddingham, Hafod, Cardiganshire, July 1939.


Related material: Maps, plans, photographs and portraits from the T.J. Waddingham Papers are in NLW maps and special collections. The main Hafod archive is held at Ceredigion Archives.


Note: Title compiled from content of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW Project. The following sources were used for the preparation of the description: NLW, Schedule of the late T. J. Waddingham; Macve, Jennifer,'A History of the Hafod Estate', Gerddi, Vol. II, no.1 (1998/1999), pp. 20-32; Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County families of Wales (Baltimore, 1991), vol. 1.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: April 2003; amended August 2005; further amended November 2006.

Lead mines and mining | Wales | Ceredigion

Personal names
Morris , Lewis , 1701-1765
Waddingham , John , d. 1890
Waddingham , Sarah , d. 1910
Waddingham , T. J. (Thomas James) , d. 1938
Waddingham family

Corporate names
Hafod Estate (Ceredigion, Wales)

Aberystwyth (Wales)
Bwlchranos Mine (Wales)
Cwmystwyth (Wales)
South Hafod Mine (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details