ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
CMA: English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno, Records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 PREDNO

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: CMA: English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno, Records

Short Title: CMA: English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno, Records

Creation date(s): [c. 1887]-2000

Level of description: Fonds.

Extent: 7 boxes (0.200 cubic metres)

Name of creator(s): English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Presbyterian cause began in the Llandudno area in 1784 through the medium of Welsh at various locations. The first Seilo chapel was erected in 1813; this was modified in 1855 and rebuilt in 1861. English language services were first held in the new chapel during the summer of 1861 with Welsh services being held in the original chapel. The arrival of the railway in 1858 and the growth of Llandudno had brought in increasing numbers of English visitors during the summer months, together with families from England settling in the area. In 1879 the North Wales Association of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Connexion had approached Welsh chapels in Llandudno, Bangor and Caernarfon to set up an English cause in their respective towns; this had already been established in Rhyl. A local committee was formed by prominent members of Seilo and in 1880 freehold land was bought on which an iron chapel was erected. In 1886 a schoolroom was built and in 1889 it was decided that a new Church would be built. Work commenced in February 1890 and it was completed and opened for the Easter services in 1891. The church is now (2011) called Gloddaeth United Church and was formed from the merger of the Llandudno branch of the Presbyterian Church of Wales with the local United Reformed Church, Christ Church.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of the English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno, [c.1889]-2000, including minutes of meetings, register of Church members, a baptism register, order of services, account books, Sunday School records, historical material, papers relating to the building, and other miscellaneous papers.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English; most of file H2 is in Welsh.

System of arrangement: Arranged at NLW in five groups: administrative papers, [c. 1889]-2000; financial papers, 1891-1997; Sunday School records, 1915-1992; history of the church [c. 1969]-1972; and building matters, [c. 1889]-1993.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to abide by the conditions set out in information provided when applying for their Readers' Tickets, whereby the reader shall become responsible for compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 in relation to any processing by them of personal data obtained from modern records held at the Library.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.

Finding aids:

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained.

Accruals: Further accruals are possible.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Rev. J. E. Wynne Davies, Aberystwyth, April 2005.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Annual reports and statement of accounts, 1887, 1917, 1930-1949, 1951-1953, 1956-1972, 1974-1993, 1995-1996; together with Magazine June-Dec. 1955; and Newsletter, Aug. 1975-March 1988, are held at NLW. Ten photographs received with this collection have been transferred to the NLW Photographic Collection.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title created from contents.

Archivist's note: Description compiled by Wil Williams and edited by Alwyn J. Roberts. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: 'English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno, Centenary Brochure, 1880-1980' (CMA EZ3/55); 'English Presbyterian Church, Llandudno', a history compiled by Mrs D. Elwern Jones, 1989 (CMA EZ3/63); and 'Methodistiaid Dosbarth Llandudno' gan Benjamin Williams a J. Tudno Williams [1926], all at NLW; Gloddaeth United Church website (http://www.gloddaeth.com/us.htm.), accessed September 2011.

Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2011.


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Calvinistic Methodists | Wales | Llandudno
English Presbyterian Church (Llandudno, Wales) | Records and correspondence
Religious institutions | Wales | Llandudno

Personal names

Corporate names
English Presbyterian Church (Llandudno, Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details