ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

National Library of Wales
CMA: Machynlleth English Presbyterian Church Records

Reference code(s): GB 0210 MACHPRE

Held at: National Library of Wales

Title: CMA: Machynlleth English Presbyterian Church Records

Short Title: CMA: Machynlleth English Presbyterian Church Records

Creation date(s): 1874-1983

Level of description: Fonds.

Extent: 1 box (0.029 cubic metres)

Name of creator(s): English Presbyterian Church, Machynlleth

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The English cause in Machynlleth began in the Board of Guardians meeting rooms [c. 1864]. When the new Maengwyn Welsh Calvinistic Chapel was opened in 1867, the English cause moved to the vacated 'Capel Norton'. The chapel was referred to as 'Capel Larkin', a reference to W. H. Larkin, one of the founders of the English cause. It was also sometimes referred to as 'Capel Relwê' (the 'Railway Chapel'), a reference to the influx of non-Welsh speakers to the area with the opening of the railway in 1863. This was predominantly a Sunday School from which, in 1873, fundraising began for the erection of a new chapel. The site of a former public house, the Raven Inn, was purchased and in 1876 the foundation stone was laid. The new English Presbyterian Chapel was opened in December 1877. Four dilapidated cottages were purchased in 1895 and these were demolished to make way for the schoolroom and meeting house which was opened in 1901.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of the English Presbyterian Church, Machynlleth, 1874-1983, including minutes of meetings, 1905-1983; financial papers, 1874-1950; registers of Church members and the Temperance Society, 1886-1947; Sunday School records, 1903-1918; administrative records, 1878-1926; and miscellaneous papers, 1877-[c. 1976].

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English.

System of arrangement: Arranged at NLW into six series: church minute books; financial papers; registers; Sunday School records; administrative records; and miscellaneous papers.

Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to abide by the conditions set out in information provided when applying for their Readers' Tickets, whereby the reader shall become responsible for compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 in relation to any processing by them of personal data obtained from modern records held at the Library.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.

Finding aids:

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained.

Accruals: Further accruals are possible.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr G. R. Mill, Machynlleth, October 2008.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Reports for the years 1972-1981, 1983-1984 are in NLW, CMA EZ2/105; report for the year 1983 is in NLW's Printed Collection.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title created from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Description compiled by Amy Rogers and Wil Williams. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: historical notes in 6/1 within this archive, and RCAHMW website (http://www.coflein.gov.uk/), accessed October 2011

Rules or conventions: Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: November 2011.


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Calvinistic Methodists | Wales | Machynlleth
Machynlleth English Presbyterian Church | Records and correspondence
Religious institutions | Wales | Machynlleth

Personal names

Corporate names
Machynlleth English Presbyterian Church

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at National Library of Wales  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details