ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Anglesey Archives
Civil Parishes, Anglesey, records

Reference code(s): GB 0221 WP

Held at: Anglesey Archives

Title: Civil Parish Records, Anglesey

Short Title: Civil Parishes, Anglesey, records

Creation date(s): 1786-1998 (accumulated 1974-1998)

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 1.850 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Civil parishes and community councils

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Civil parish councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894. Their records may contain minute books, valuation books, rate lists, accounts as well as correspondence. The civil parishes took over some responsibilities previously administered by the Vestry of the (ecclesiastical) parish, and inherited some of their records (e.g. rate books, accounts and vestry minutes; tithe maps and apportionments). The civil parish had powers over local matters. Their records include minutes, accounts, correspondence and sometimes papers re planning applications, commons, footpaths, allotments, cemeteries, social events and village halls. In 1974, parish councils in Wales became known as community councils (cyngor cymuned or cyngor bro) or town councils and the previous boundaries were altered.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of civil parishes and community councils, Anglesey, 1786-1998, including Aberffraw, 1844-1985; Amlwch, 1831-1921; Beaumaris, 1786-1978; Bodedern, 1888-1995; Bodwrog, 1921; Carreglefn, 1894-1983; Ceirchiog, 1839-1932; Cerrigceinwen, 1835-1978; Coedana, 1895-1983; Cyngor Bro Cwm Cadnant, 1984-1998; Heneglwys, 1855-1897; Holyhead Rural, 1816-1978; Holyhead Urban, 1832-1986; Llanallgo, 1930-1982; Llanbadrig, 1909-1963; Llanbeulan, 1902-1933; Llanddanielfab, 1894-1940; Llanddeusant, 1921; Llanddona, 1895-1983; Llanddyfnanan, 1868-1982; Llandegfan, 1834-1998; Llandrygarn, 1818-1900; Llandyfrydog, 1876-1984; Llandysilio, 1921-1922; Llanedwen, 1894-1934; Llaneilian, 1925; Llanerchymedd, 1950-1982; Llaneugrad, 1895-1973; Llanfachraeth, 1894-1974; Llanfaelog, 1921; Llanfaes, 1899; Llanfaethlu, 1831-1980; Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, 1938-1991; Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, 1865-1992; Llanfair yn Neubwll, 1895-1989; Llanfechell, 1830-1984; Llanfigael, 1801-1843; Llanfihangel Tre'r Beirdd, 1818-1984; Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog, 1879-1997; Llanfihangel yn Nhywyn, 1895-1955; Llanfwrog, 1887-1932; Llangadwaladr, 1843-1984; Llangaffo, 1895-1948; Llangefni, 1818-1993; Llangeinwen, 1809-1993; Llangoed, 1894-1992; Llangristiolus, 1894-1983; Llanidan, 1894-1968; Llaniestyn, 1829-1984; Llanrhuddlad, 1921; Llansadwrn, 1789-1984; Llantrisant, 1806, Llanwenllwyfo, 1925; Llechcynfarwy, 1895-1962; Llechylched, 1909-1947; Menai Bridge, 1905-1987; Newborough (Niwbwrch), 1845-1987; Penmynydd, 1894-1964; Penrhosllugwy, 1883-1984; Pentraeth, 1894-1997; Rhodogeidio, 1950-1984; Rhosybol, 1896-1995; Cymgor Bro Rhosyr, 1984-1995; Trefdraeth, 1895-1984; and Trewalchmai, 1899-1984.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: civil parishes; community councils; in alphabetical order.

Conditions governing access: There is a bundle of papers regarding an alleged public footpath in the parish of Llanfair yn Neubwll, 1987, to which there is no access until 2017 without permission of the council. There are other papers relating to Llanfair yn Neubwll that cannot be seen before 2019.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office and the National Register of Archives. It is the policy of Gwasanaeth Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Archives Service to catalogue in the language of the document.

Language codes: engwel

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been appraised for retention.

Accruals: Accruals are expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Gwynedd Archives Service, 1977.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. Contains earlier records accumulated by the parish councils.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were consulted in the compilation of this description: Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, Civil Parish Records; Ancestry website (www.ancestry.lycos.com), viewed on 24 June 2003; West Glamorgan Archive Service website (www.swansea.gov.uk), viewed 24 June 2003.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: June 2003


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Parish councils (Local government) | Wales | Anglesey

Personal names

Corporate names

Places
Anglesey (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details