ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Anglesey Archives
Anglesey Antiquarian Society, collection

Reference code(s): GB 0221 WM 421-423, 1416, 1538-1540, 1542-1551, 1553, WSC 201-202, WSF 199, WSH/11/131, WSM 337, 505.

Held at: Anglesey Archives

Title: Anglesey Antiquarian Society Collection

Short Title: Anglesey Antiquarian Society, collection

Creation date(s): 1758-1994 (accumulated 1911-1994)

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.155 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Cymdeithas Hynafiaethwyr a Naturiaethwyr Môn/Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club was established in 1911. Its purpose is the study of the history, archaeology, natural science and literature of Anglesey and the preservation of documents and artefacts of historical and scientific interest. Its officers include the president, chairman, secretary, treasurer and editor and there is an executive committee, publications sub-committee and excursion sub-committee. The Society has published its Transactions annually since 1913 and organises regular lectures and excursions. Presidents of the Society have included Lord Boston, 1911-1939, Sir Ifor Williams, 1939-1954, and the Marquess of Anglesey, 1954-[1987].

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society including minute books, 1911-1976; correspondencefiles, 1968-1977; correspondence relating to the transfer of artefacts to Oriel Ynys Môn, 1950-1993; local observer's reports to the Society, 1912-1929; records relating to the sale of Society publications, 1966-1978; membership records, 1968-1977; slides and photos of Society excursions, 1973-1982; papers donated to and collected by the Society, including papers relating to William Williams (1834-1915) of Pentraeth, 1873-1915; deeds and documents relating mainly to property in Anglesey, 1758-1890; ledgers and order books of a butcher's shop in Menai Bridge, Anglesey, 1868-1878; various manuscript and typescript volumes, 1873-1977, including an unpublished typescript by E. Neil Baynes, 'Lligwy a History of Penrhos and Penrhoslligwy', 1936; album of sketches by W. O. Stanley, [c. 1870]; photographs and an oil painting, 1928-1929 and [n. d.]; tapestry samplers, 1860-1896; album of coloured photographs of Anglesey churches by Emyr hughes, 1994.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: records of the Society (WM 1551); papers collected by the Society.

Conditions governing access: No access to WM 1551/11 (correspondence relating to Oriel Ynys Môn) for 30 years [2023] without the permission of the Society.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. It is the policy of Gwasanaeth Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Archives Service to catalogue in the language of the document.

Language codes: engwel

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further papers deposited by the Society are in Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, WDO.

Publication note: Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1971-1972, pp. 111-129; Owen, Hugh (ed.), Braslun o hanes M.C. Môn, 1880-1935 (Liverpool, 1937).

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, Casgliad A. A. S. (A. A. S. Collection); Jones, Dewi O., Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club Index to Transactions, 1913-1985 (1987); Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club website (www.hanesmon.btinternet.co.uk/), viewed 16 July 2003.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: July 2003


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Anglesey Antiquarian Society | Records and correspondence
Butchers | Wales | Anglesey | Records and correspondence
Deeds | Wales | Anglesey
Manuscripts | Wales
Photograph collections | Wales | Anglesey
Williams, William, | 1834-1915 | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Anglesey Antiquarian Society

Places
Anglesey (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details