ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Anglesey Archives
Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit records

Reference code(s): GB 0221 WD4

Held at: Anglesey Archives

Title: Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit Records

Short Title: Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit records

Creation date(s): 1806-1990

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.275 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit; Amlwch Wesleyan Circuit; Holyhead Wesleyan Circuit; Holyhead and Amlwch Wesleyan Circuit; Beaumaris Wesleyan Circuit.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Wesleyanism, or Wesleyan Methodism, is the doctrine of the Methodist Church established by John Wesley (1703-1790) who preached in Wales between 1739 and 1790. Wesleyan Methodism in Wales served both English- and Welsh-speaking communities, with parallel organisations (individual chapels linked to form Circuits, which were part of Districts). The North Wales District included the Beaumaris Circuit and the Amlwch and Holyhead English Circuit. Wesleyan Methodists are known as Methodists in England and the common use of Methodist in Wales relates to the Calvinistic Methodists.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records relating to Wesleyan Methodists in Anglesey, 1806-1990, comprising records relating to the Anglesey Circuit, 1824-1990; the Amlwch Circuit, 1848-1976; Holyhead Circuit, 1860-1984; Holyhead and Amlwch Circuit, 1839-1969; Beaumaris Circuit, 1858-1971; records of chapels in Holyhead, including, Capel Bethel, 1845-1985; Capel Gwynfa, 1888-1968; Capel Seion, 1852-1980; Capel Hebron, Four Mile Bridge, 1873-1978; Capel Horeb, Rhosneigr, 1903-1967; Llangfaelog, 1858-1949; Capel Ebenezer, Trefor, 1878-1976; Capel Elim, Bodorgan, 1843-1980; Niwbwrch, 1901-1915; Capel Seion, Aberffraw, 1879-1987; Pencarnisiog, 1865-1972; Capel Soar, Bodedern, 1943-1949; Capel Bethel, Amlwch, 1838-1976; Capel Caersalem, Llaneilian, 1854-1936; Capel Bethania, Tregele, 1851-1977; Capel Seion, Burwen, 1886-[?1924]; Capel Nebo, Llanfairynghornwy, 1810-1973; Capel Llanfaen, Amlwch Circuit, [n. d.]; Capel Ebenezer, Beaumaris, 1823-1944; Capel Salem, Llanfairpwll, 1841-1975; Capel Penuel, Llangoed, 1843-1969; Llanddona, 1900-1931; Capel Seion, Menai Bridge, 1842-1977; Capel Ebenezer, Llangefni, 1840-1977; miscellaneous, 1806-1978.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Anglesey Methodist Circuit; Amlwch Circuit; Holyhead Circuit; Holyhead and Amlwch Circuit; Beaumaris Circuit; Capel Bethel; Capel Gwynfa; Capel Seion; Capel Hebron, Four Mile Bridge; Capel Horeb, Rhosneigr; Llangfaelog; Capel Ebenezer, Trefor; Capel Elim; Niwbwrch; Capel Seion, Aberffraw; Pencarnisiog; Capel Soar, Bodedern; Capel Bethal, Amlwch; Capel Caersalem; Capel Bethania, Tregele; Capel Seion, Burwen; Capel Nebo, Llanfairynghornwy; Capel Ebenezer, Beaumaris; Capel Salem, Llanfairpwll; Capel Penuel, Llangoed; Llanddona; Capel Seion, Menai Bridge; Capel Ebenezer, Llangefni; miscellaneous; artefacts.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. It is the policy of Gwasanaeth Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Archives Service to catalogue in the language of the document.

Language codes: engwel

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Anglesey County Record Office have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Wesleyan Methodist.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Related material is Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, WDAAA [The English language circuit]. Artefacts which were part of the collection are in Oriel Ynys Môn.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, Records of the Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit catalogue; Methodism in Wales website (www.westwales.co.uk/methodism), viewed 28/06/04.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: June 2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit | Records and correspondence
Wesleyan Methodist Church | Wales | Anglesey

Personal names

Corporate names
Anglesey Wesleyan Circuit

Places
Anglesey (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details