ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Anglesey Archives
Hughes, David Collection

Reference code(s): GB 0021 WQSA CHA

Held at: Anglesey Archives

Title: David Hughes Collection

Short Title: Hughes, David Collection

Creation date(s): 1530-1951

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.9 cubic metres (30 boxes and 1 large volume)

Name of creator(s): The feoffees of the David Hughes Free Grammar School and their succesors

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Free Grammar School in Beaumaris, Anglesey was founded by David Hughes in 1603. Following its establishment he bought several farms in Anglesey and Caernarfonshire in order to provide a permanent endowment to his charity. Other lands were purchased at a later date and many of these farms were still owned by the charity when the school was taken over by the county in 1895. The terms for the administration of the school and charity were set out in the founders will (1609) in which it was stipulated that it was to remain under the management of a body of feoffees - two members of which were always to include the Bishop of Bangor and the Mayor of Beaumaris. It also determined the conditions under which the master and usher were to serve and a codicil to the will gave directions for the distribution of fellowships so that worthy pupils could attend a University at Oxford. The feoffees appointed the master and usher and also decided what books should be studied. In 1710, they appointed a writing master to instruct the poor boys in writing and arithmetic. Although very few details of the curriculum followed by the boys in the early days of the school have survived, the only subjects studied in the grammar schools of the time were the classical languages and literature. In 1889, the Welsh Intermediate Education Act established secondary schools in Wales and England and the school was taken over by the County Authorities in 1895. Three quarters of the endowment was appropriated by the County Education Authority to be shared with schools in Holyhead and Llangefni. However, the school retained something of the character of the old grammar school until 1953, when Anglesey became the first LEA in Wales and England to pioneer the comprehensive system.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Includes papers re the feoffees, c.1600 - 1895; papers re the administration of school and almshouse, 1662-1876; papers re estates and properties on Anglesey, 1530-1921; papers re the County Governing Body, 1876-1921; and miscellaneous papers; [c.17 cent]-1951. Records of particular interest in this collection include: petitions for apprenticeships and exhibitions, 1790 Aug. 24-1864; apprenticeship indentures, 1793 Oct. 7-1865 Apr. 8; list of scholars, [1784]-1868; and miscellaneous farms on Anglesey and Caernarvonshire, 1771-[1928 Feb. 3]. These farms include: Bodfeddan, Ceirchiog, Anglesey, [c.1785]-1900; Bodhala, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1819-1928; Bodhenlli, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, [late 1700s]-1880; Bryn Llwyd, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1874-1880; Canol Rhos, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1874-1880; Cott (or Bodneuadd), Llanfflewin, Anglesey, 1824-1880; Graiglwyd, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1874-1880; Maenhir, Llantrisant, Anglesey, 1771-1880; Penterfryn, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1874-1880; Plas Bach, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1774-1880; Prysiorwerth, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1810-1901; Rhos Isaf, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1874-1880 Rhostrehwfa, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, [early 1800s]-1826; Rhos Uchaf, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1874-1880; Tremoelgoch, Llanddeusant, Anglesey, 1833-1880; Ty Coch, Llangristiolus, Anglesey, 1863-1880; Ty Llwyd, Cerrig Ceinwen, Anglesey, 1874-1880; Ty Moel, Ceirchiog, Anglesey, 1818-1876; Tyddyn Gyrfer, Llechgynfarwy, Anglesey, 1789-1880; Ysgubor Fawr, Aberffraw, Anglesey, 1774-1880; Dyffryn Mymbyr, Llandegai, Caernarvonshire, 1783-1873.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, early deeds in Latin and some letters in Welsh.

System of arrangement: The original order of this collection has been lost therefore it has been necessary to arrange it by subject and then chronologically.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Anglesey County Record Office conditions apply

Physical characteristics: Good to poor condition

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogues are available at Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office and the National Register of Archives. It is the policy of Gwasanaeth Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Archives Service to catalogue in the language of the document.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: Not known

Immediate source of acquisition: This collection was inherited from the County Council

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: WA A/1-90 & WDG, E Madoc Jones, Anglesey County Archive Service & WDT Laurie Collection; BMSS EMDJ, Evan Madoc Jones Papers, Bangor University.

Publication note: Carr, Anthony D., 'The Free Grammar School of Beaumaris', Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Filed Club: Transactions (1962) pp. 1-22; Pretty, David A., Two Centuries of Anglesey Schools, 1700-1902, Gwasg Gee, Denbigh; & Ramage, Helen, Portraits of an Island: Eighteenth Century Anglesey, the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, Ynys Mon.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Gaynor Nice for the Anglesey County Record Office. Sources used: Carr, Anthony D., 'The Free Grammar School of Beaumaris' Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Filed Club: Transactions (1962) pp. 1-22; Pretty, David A., Two Centuries of Anglesey Schools, 1700-1902, Gwasg Gee, Denbigh; & Ramage, Helen, Portraits of an Island: Eighteenth Century Anglesey, the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, Ynys Mon.

Rules or conventions: This description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2007


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Charity-schools | Wales | Beaumaris

Personal names
Hughes , David , (d. 1609)

Corporate names
David Hughes Charity

Places
Aberffraw (Wales)
Anglesey (Wales)
Beaumaris (Wales)
Ceirchiog (Anglesey, Wales)
Cerrig Ceinwen ( Wales)
Llanddeusant (Anglesey, Wales)
Llandegai (Wales)
Llanfflewyn (Wales)
Llangristiolus (Wales)
Llantrisant (Anglesey, Wales)
Llechcynfarwy (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details