ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Anglesey Archives
Anglesey Antiquarian Society, glass plates and negatives

Reference code(s): GB 0221 WSM 622

Held at: Anglesey Archives

Title: Anglesey Antiquarian Society, glass plates and negatives

Short Title: Anglesey Antiquarian Society, glass plates and negatives

Creation date(s): [early 20th cent.]

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.009 cubic metres (1 box)

Name of creator(s): Neil E. Baynes F.S.A.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club was established in 1911. Its purpose is the study of the history, archaeology, natural science and literature of Anglesey and the preservation of documents and artefacts of historical and scientific interest. Its officers include the president, chairman, secretary, treasurer and editor and there is an executive committee, publications sub-committee and excursion sub-committee. The Society has published its Transactions annually since 1913 and organises regular lectures and excursions. Presidents of the Society have included Lord Boston, 1911-1939, Sir Ifor Williams, 1939-1954, and the Marquess of Anglesey, 1954-[1987].

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Collection includes:- WSM/622/1/1-111: The slides are marked as being taken by E. Neil Baynes, C.N.J., [?Cyril N. Jones of Penrhos Llangefni] Griffith [?J.E. Griffith, A Portfolio of Photographs of the Cromlechs of Anglesey, 1900, and Norman [?Mrs. Norman Wilcox of Nyth y Wylan Tyn y Gongl]. Slides of sketches are taken from the Archaeological Journal, Archaeologia Cambrensis, Mona Antiqua Restaurata by The Reverend Henry Rowlands published in 1766, and The Reverend John Skinners Tour of Anglesey, Arch. Cam. Sup., 1908. WSM/622/2/1-63: Glass slides of Din Llugwy [Lligwy] Romano-British enclosed hut group settlement in Penrhoslligwy. Some slides show excavations [probably 1905-1907] also photos and archaeological drawings of the finds, sections and plans. WSM/622/3/1/1-8: Church fittings, stone figurehead carvings. These have been catalogued based on the description written on each slide, and confirmed where possible. WSM/622/3/2/1-8: Church fittings, stone figures and figurehead carvings. These have been catalogued based on the description written on each slide, and confirmed where possible. WSM/622/3/3/1-8: Church fittings, stone figurehead carvings. These have been catalogued based on the description written on each slide, and confirmed where possible. WSM/622/4/1-16: Negatives of church fittings, stone carvings and other sites. The collection features some sites not on Anglesey. It has been agreed to keep the collection together. These have been catalogued based on the description written on each booklet, and not yet confirmed.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: See Scope and Content above.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Physical characteristics: Glass plates and negatives.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Archifau Ynys Môn / Anglesey Archives and the National Register of Archives. It is the policy of Archifau Ynys Môn / Anglesey Archives to catalogue in the language of the document.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been appraised.

Accruals: Accruals are possible.

Archival history: The glass slides were in part originally prepared for an article; The Megalithic Remains of Anglesey by Neil E. Baynes F.S.A. and read before the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion at 20 Hanover Square on 10th February 1911 and their primary order might since have been lost.

Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred from Llyfrgell Llangefni Library in 2011.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: See also GB 0221 WM 421-423, 1416, 1538-1540, 1542-1551, 1553, WSC 201-202, WSF 199, WSH/11/131, WSM 337 & 505. Further papers deposited by the Society are in Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, WDO.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Amanda Sweet for Archifau Ynys Môn / Anglesey Archives.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2011


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Archaeology | Wales | Anglesey
Excavations (Archaeology) | Wales | Anglesey

Personal names
Baynes , E. Neil , [alive 1904-1947]

Corporate names
Anglesey Antiquarian Society

Places
Anglesey (Wales)
Penrhosllugwy (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Anglesey Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details