ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Flintshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Flintshire Record Office
Overton parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0208 P/46

Held at: Flintshire Record Office

Title: Overton Ecclesiastical Parish Records

Short Title: Overton parish records

Creation date(s): 1602-1982

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 26 items

Name of creator(s): Overton Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The county of Flintshire falls within the Diocese of St Asaph and consists of over fifty ecclesiastical parishes, including Overton. The records of individual ecclesiastical parishes in Flintshire include registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, as well as records of the churchwardens and Parochial Church Councils, parish charities, schools, clubs and societies. Parish records were deposited at the Clwyd Record Office, following an agreement of 1976 between the Church in Wales and the Welsh County Councils. Overton was originally part of the parish of Bangor Monachorum. In 1867, Overton was constituted as a separate parish, and endowed with its own tithes, under the patronage of the Duke of Westminster. The new parish consisted of the townships of Knolton, Maesgwaelod, Maeslewis, Overton Foreign and Overton Villa.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Overton parish, 1602-1982, including registers, 1602-1982; service registers, 1879-1901; and overseer's records, 1818-1848.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English; Latin

System of arrangement: Arranged in three groups: Group One, incumbent and overseer's records; and Groups Two and Three, incumbent records.

Conditions governing access: Data Protection Act restrictions will apply to any items less than 100 years old that contain personal information as defined by the Act.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of this catalogue is available at Flintshire Record Office. Catalogue is searchable online at: http://calmview.flintshire.gov.uk/CalmView/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Flintshire Record Office have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Rev. T. P. Jones, Overton, Wrexham, Clwyd, 1977; Rev. Chancellor W.H. Williams, Overton, 1992; Canon V. Jones, Overton, 2002.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of copies: Microfilm copies of the parish registers are available at Flintshire Record Office, Denbighshire Record Office and the National Library of Wales. Registers are also available to search online.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Flintshire Record Office, Overton Parish records catalogue; Diocese of St Asaph Homepage (http://www.dioceseofstasaph.org.uk/), viewed 18 February 2004; GENUKI (UK and Ireland genealogy) website (http://www.genuki.org.uk/), viewed 18 February 2004.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Church records and registers | Wales | Bangor-is-y-coed
Church records and registers | Wales | Overton (Wrexham)
Overton (Wrexham, Wales) | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Bangor-is-y-coed (Wales)
Overton (Wrexham, Wales)

Places
Bangor-is-y-coed (Wales)
Overton (Wrexham, Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Flintshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details