ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Denbighshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Denbighshire Record Office
Llantysilio Hall manuscripts (additional deposit)

Reference code(s): GB 0209 DD/LH ADDNL

Held at: Denbighshire Record Office

Title: Llantysilio Hall MSS Additional

Short Title: Llantysilio Hall manuscripts (additional deposit)

Creation date(s): 1839-1980

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 1.296 cubic metres (48 boxes). Extent includes DD/LH

Name of creator(s): Llantysilio Hall estate

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Henry Robertson (1816-1888), a Scotsman, first came to North Wales to assess the potential for the development of minerals in the Brymbo area for a Scottish bank. Following his assessment the bank offered to lend him the capital to take part in exploiting the mines himself. Several other young Scotsmen joined him, and they formed the Brymbo Mineral Railway Company, which purchased the Brymbo Hall estate, including Brymbo ironworks. In 1846 the company was re-named the Brymbo Company, and W. H. and C. E. Darby were enlisted to take care of the pits and ironworks so that Henry Robertson could turn his attention to the railways, when he was engaged on the completion of the North Wales mineral railway. He also drew up plans for a viaduct over the Dee at Cefn, the through line to Shrewsbury being opened in October 1848. He was also involved in numerous other railway projects in the Midlands and Mid-Wales. By 1880 he had turned his attention to the possibility of producing steel at Brymbo, and the first 10 ton steel melting furnace went into production in 1885. Between 1862 and 1885 he was elected three times as Liberal M. P. for Shrewsbury. On his election to parliament he purchased a house in London and a country residence called Crogen, a house situated on the Dee between Bala and Corwen. In 1869 he acquired the Pale mansion and estate, near Corwen. He re-built the mansion and resided there from 1871. He was elected M. P. for Merioneth in 1885 but resigned and withdrew from the Liberal party on the introduction of Gladstone's Home Rule Bill. He was succeeded by his only son, Sir Henry Beyer Robertson (1862-1948), who was named after a friend of his father, Charles Frederick Beyer (1813-1876). He was Sir Henry's god-father, and on his death bequeathed Llantysilio Hall, which he had purchased in 1867, to his god-son. Sir Henry spent some time assisting his father in his various business matters. He was responsible for many new developments at Brymbo steelworks including the installation of a new plant. During the First World War he ensured maximum production of iron and steel for munitions and Pale was turned into a military hospital. He was a director of several companies, including the Great Western Railway Company and a member of the River Dee Fisheries Board. In 1890 he was granted a knighthood. His heir was his son, Duncan Robertson, of Llantysilio Hall.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Papers relating to Llantysilio Hall comprising plans, 1869-1875; estate maps and plans, 1839-1880; miscellaneous plans, 1865-1872; furnishing accounts and papers, 1864-1875; letter books, 1860-1922; deeds and plans, 1892-[c. 1952]; accounts, 1910-1959; and correspondence, 1945-1980.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically into: two groups: Group I consists of Llantysilio Hall plans; Llantysilio maps and plans; miscellaneous plans; furnishing accounts and papers; and miscellaneous papers, and Group II consists of letter books; deeds and plans; accounts; correspondence; and miscellaneous papers. Numbering has continued from DD/LH. (Numbering begins at 498)

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at the Denbighshire Record Office and the National Register of Archives.

Language codes: eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Denbighshire Record Office have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Additional deposit in October 1977 followed by a deposit by Mrs. J. Robertson, Llantysilio Hall, near Llangollen, in June 1989.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further papers relating to Llantysilio Hall are Denbighshire Record Office, DD/LH, and Henry Robertson Papers and Pale Papers, both at the National Library of Wales.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title based on the name of an estate bequeathed to Sir Henry Beyer Robertson

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Guide to collections held at the Denbighshire Record Office (www.denbighshire.gov.uk/www/dccportal.nsf), viewed January 2002; Clwyd Record Office, Report on the business and estate papers of Henry Robertson (1816-1888) railway engineer and of his son, Sir Henry Beyer Robertson (1862-1948); Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940 (London, 1959).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: January 2002


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Dwellings | Wales | Denbighshire | Designs and plans
Estate administration | Wales | Denbighshire
Llantysilio Hall Estate (Wales) | Maps

Personal names
Robertson family , of Llantysilio Hall and Pale

Corporate names
Llantysilio Hall Estate (Wales)

Places
Denbighshire (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Denbighshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details