ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Denbighshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Denbighshire Record Office
Plas Power manuscripts

Reference code(s): GB 0209 DD/PP

Held at: Denbighshire Record Office

Title: Plas Power MSS

Short Title: Plas Power manuscripts

Creation date(s): 1576-1927

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.864 cubic metres (32 boxes)

Name of creator(s): Plas Power estate

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Most of the Plas Power property was in the parish of Wrexham, especially the townships of Bersham, Esclusham and Minera, but the estate also extended to the counties of Merionethshire (Llanfor, Llanuwchllyn, Trawsfynydd), Flint (Abenbury, Bodfari), Montgomeryshire and Shropshire. Despite its title, the relationship of the founders of the estate - the Power family - with the estate itself was comparatively brief. Sir Henry Power, who was described as 'of Bersham' in 1620, appears to have established the estate. His grandson, John Power, is mentioned in a deed in 1685. By 1699 John had moved to Dover and his descendants later lived at Hill Court in Herefordshire. His lands in Bersham township were sold to William Fownes of Dublin in 1702-1704 for £1,800. In 1732 Mary Myddleton of Croes Newydd, daughter of Sir Richard Myddleton, 3rd Baronet, of Chirk Castle, purchased the estate from the Fownes family. William Lloyd, son of the Rev. Thomas Lloyd, Mary Myddleton's chaplain, inherited the estate when she died in 1747. William Lloyd became a trustee of the Chirk Castle estate under the terms of Mary Myddleton's will. William died in 1793 and was succeeded by his second son, another William, who died without issue in 1816. The estate then passed to William's nephew, Thomas FitzHugh, son of Thomas FitzHugh of Portland Place, Marylebone, London, and Mary, the sister of William Lloyd (junior). The estate eventually passed to Thomas's great-grandson, Lieutenant Colonel G. E. FitzHugh. The FitzHugh family also owned property in Middlesex and Essex. According to the 1873 return of owners of land Thomas Lloyd FitzHugh of Plas Power, Denbighshire, owned 3,362 acres (situated in Denbighshire and Flintshire) which carried an annual rental of £5,573.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Plas Power estate papers, including deeds, 1576-1921, mainly for lands in Denbighshire, 1576-1914, mainly in Wrexham townships, Flintshire, 1702-1899, Merionethshire, 1642-1824, Montgomeryshire, 1719-1747, Cheshire, 1658-1828, Lancashire, 1633-1674, London, 1730-1925, and Shropshire, 1719-1871; estate papers, 1702-1921, including accounts, 1702-1919, rentals, 1702-1910, surveys and valuations, 1820-[c. 1830], maps, [c. 1780]-[c. 1900], sale papers, 1761-1896, tithe papers, 1839-1906, and correspondence, 1727-1921; legal records, 1727-1891; business and industrial papers, 1793-1918, including papers relating to the United Minera Mining Company and its lead mining activities, 1893-1916, papers of the Minera Stone Quarries Ltd, 1894-1918, and royalty accounts received by the estate from collieries in the Wrexham area, 1880-1914 (Coedpoeth, Bersham, Plas Power, Vron, etc.), correspondence, 1892-1914, and plans; and family papers, 1697-1926, including marriage settlements, 1697-1828, probate records and inventories, 1658-1926, correspondence, 1801-[1921], and accounts, 1868-1910. The archive also includes papers relating to the Chirk Castle estate including estate papers, 1675-1681, 1695-1803; legal records, 1684-[c. 1816]; and family papers, 1673-1813, including wills and inventories, 1712-1747, accounts, 1801-1813, and correspondence, 1703-1813; and correspondence and papers of Christopher Goodman, puritan divine, of Chester (c. 1520-1603), 1554-[c. 1591].

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Latin

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically into the following:: Plas Power estate - deeds, estate papers, legal records, business/industrial and family papers; Chirk Castle estate - deeds, family papers and legal records; miscellaneous; appendix A; and appendix B.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Denbighshire Record Office, National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Denbighshire Record Office have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: It appears that some Chirk Castle estate records were retained by William Lloyd who was a trustee of the estate.

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Colonel G.E. FitzHugh, Plas Power, near Wrexham, per Birch Cullimore and Co., Chester. Records described in Appendix A were deposited by Lieutenant Colonel G.E. FitzHugh, Plas Power Home Farm, Bersham, in June 1978, and records listed in Appendix B were deposited by Birch, Cullimore and Co., Chester, per Cheshire Record Office in May 1980.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further papers regarding the Plas Power estate are in the National Library of Wales (uncatalogued).

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales (London, 2 vols, 1872), vol. I; James, Brian, 'The Great Landowners of Wales in 1873', National Library of Wales Journal, XIV (1965-66); Clwyd Record Office, Report on the family and estate papers of the FitzHugh family of Plas Power, (1983); Burke's Landed Gentry (London, 1952).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: January 2002


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Coal mines and mining | Wales | Denbighshire
Deeds | England
Deeds | Wales
Estate administration | Wales | Chirk Castle
Estate administration | Wales | Plas Power
Lead mines and mining | Wales | Denbighshire
Quarries and quarrying | Wales | Denbighshire
Tithes | Wales | Denbighshire

Personal names
FitzHugh family , of Plas Power
Goodman , Christopher , 1520?-1603

Corporate names
Chirk Castle Estate (Wales)
Minera Stone Quarries
Plas Power Estate (Wales)
United Minera Mining Company Limited.

Places
Wrexham (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Denbighshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details