ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Bowser family papers

Reference code(s): GB 0211 BOWSER

Held at: Carmarthenshire Archive Service

Title: Bowser Family Papers

Short Title: Bowser family papers

Creation date(s): 1800-1969 (predominantly 1800-1910)

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.012 cubic metres (1 box)

Name of creator(s): Bowser family of Burry Port


Administrative/Biographical history: The Bowser family moved from Newington Green, Middlesex, in the late 18th century. George Bowser (1778-1835), became deeply involved in coal mining in the area stretching from the Gwendraeth Fawr river to Dyfatty in the east, and he leased land in several places for mining, tramways and canals. In 1806, he built a tramway and a short canal from his mines, which included Coed Evan Ddu, Syddin and Brynwtha, to his shipping places on the Gwendraeth Fawr river between Muddlescombe and Holway, to enable him to export his coal. In 1816 he leased Cwm Capel Colliery from Lord Cawdor and re-opened the colliery. As part of this venture he built a tramway from the colliery to Carreg Edwig, from where he exported coal. In 1816 George Bowser, Thomas Gaunt and two other partners took a lease of land from Lord Ashburnham to build and operate the Pembrey Harbour. The four partners had already set up the Pembrey Iron and Coal Company. The Company leased Gwscwm colliery in about 1818, and the adjacent Furnace Iron Works. George Bowser, however, withdrew from the harbour agreement, as he considered the total cost of ?70,000 to ?80,000 excessive.


Scope and content/abstract: Papers of the Bowser family mainly comprising papers relating to financial and legal matters; to coal-mining in the Gwendraeth valley, Carmarthenshire, 1810-1910; to the growth of Burry Port and its harbour, 19-20 th cent.; and newspaper cuttings,[late 19 cent., 1966-1969].


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically into: a group of family papers.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at the Carmarthenshire Archive Service and the National Register of Archives.


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Miss M. Bowser, The Bungalow, The Harbour, Burry Port, in September 1967, and by Mr M.W. Farr, Warwickshire County Archivist, County Record Office, Priory Park, Cape Road, Warwick in January 1983.



Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Nicholson, John A., Pembrey and Burry Port a Historical Miscellany, (Llanelli Borough Council, 1994); Nicholson, John A., Pembrey and Burry Port, Further Historical Glimpses, (Carmarthenshire County Council, 1996).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: July 2001

Estate administration | Wales | Carmarthenshire

Personal names
Bowser family , of Burry Port

Corporate names

Burry Port (Wales)
Gwendraeth Valley (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details