ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Lort muniments

Reference code(s): GB 0211 CAWDORLORT

Held at: Carmarthenshire Archive Service

Title: Lort Muniments

Short Title: Lort muniments

Creation date(s): [13th century]-1754

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.34 cubic metres (28 boxes)

Name of creator(s): Lort family of Stackpole Court

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The earliest known owner of the Stackpole Court estate was Sir Leonard de Stackpole, a crusader. The estate passed into the hands of the Vernon family of Haddon Hall, Derbyshire, who left the family steward, George Lort, who came from Staffordshire, in charge of the Stackpole estate. He purchased the estate in the mid-16th century. George Lort's descendant, Roger Lort (d. c. 1664), purchased Merrion Court, Warren, Pembrokeshire after 1623. In Carmarthenshire, he purchased Rushmoor, in the parish of Llanfihangel Abercywyn from John Philipps in 1627, and Abercrychan, Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, in the same county in 1662. Brownslade in Castlemartin, Pembrokeshire, also formed part of the Stackpole estate. Roger Lort was succeeded by his son, Sir John Lort. His heir was his eldest son, Sir Gilbert Lort (d. 1698), who died unmarried. The estate passed to his sister, Elizabeth, who married Sir Alexander Campbell, son of Sir Hugh Campbell, of Cawdor Castle, Nairn, Scotland, who also owned the Golden Grove estate in Carmarthenshire. The Stackpole estate thereafter fore descended in the Campbell family.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Family and estate papers of the Lort family of Stackpole Court, Pembrokeshire, comprising deeds, [13 cent.]-1754, relating mainly to lands in Pembrokeshire, properties in north-east Carmarthenshire, and to the manor of Castlemartin, Pembrokeshire, 1451-1650.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Latin

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Carmarthenshire Archive Service and the National Register of Archives. Further details about manorial records within the archive can be accessed from the Manorial Documents Register.

Language codes: englat

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Earl of Cawdor, Cawdor Castle, Nairn, Scotland.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Jones, Francis, Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire and their Families, (Newport, 1996); Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their families, (Newport, 1997); Burke's Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, (London, 1838); Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, (London, 1959).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: July 2001


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Deeds | Wales | Carmarthenshire
Deeds | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Estate administration | Wales | Carmarthenshire
Estate administration | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Lort family, | of Stackpole | Archives
Manors | Wales | Castlemartin

Personal names
Lort family , of Stackpole

Corporate names

Places
Carmarthenshire (Wales)
Stackpole (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details