ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Plas Llanstephan muniments

Reference code(s): GB 0211 PLASLLAN

Held at: Carmarthenshire Archive Service

Title: Plas Llanstephan Muniments

Short Title: Plas Llanstephan muniments

Creation date(s): 1630-1956

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 1.03 cubic metres (84 boxes, 2 vols)

Name of creator(s): Davies, Morris and Philipps families of Coomb, Llangynog,

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Plas Llansteffan (anglicised 'Plas Llanstephan') was probably built in the second half of the sixteenth century by the Lloyd family, the earliest known owners of the place. The Lloyd family held Plas Llansteffan until 1767, when it passed to the Meares family of Eastington in the parish of Rhoscrowther, Pembrokeshire. The Meares family rebuilt the mansion in 1787-1788. During parts of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries the mansion was let out, including to Sir John James Hamilton between at least 1879 and 1887, and, between 1903 and 1909 to Sir John Williams (1840-1926), baronet, before being sold in 1920 to Sir Owen Cosby Philipps of Coomb, Llangynog, Carmarthenshire. Sir Owen Cosby Philipps (1863-1937) of Coomb, Carmarthenshire, politician and shipping magnate, created Lord Kylsant in 1923 and jailed for fraud in 1931, was the son of the Rev. Sir James Erasmus Philipps of Picton Castle, Pembrokeshire, 12th bart. He had resided at Amroth Castle, Pembrokeshire, 1904-1920, and appears to have kept the Coomb, Amroth and Cilsant estates until at least 1936. Lady Kylsant was succeeded at Plas Llansteffan by Nesta Donne Fisher-Hoch sometime between 1949 and 1954. Coomb (or Cwm) had been a farmhouse until 1679, when it was bought by Morgan Davies (d. 1728), an attorney who pulled down the farmhouse and built a mansion in its place. The Davies family remained at Coomb until 1806, when it was sold to Messrs Morris, the Carmarthen bankers. The Morris family never lived there until, shortly after 1864, the mansion was pulled down and a large Victorian mansion built in its place. The Morris family remained until at least 1892. Sometime after 1945, Coomb became a Cheshire Home. Thomas Morris, a member of the Morris banking family, purchased the Green Castle estate in Llangain, Carmarthenshire, from a Frederick Bulworth. The family also acquired Panybanc Ucha in Abergwili (which they renamed Bryn Myrddin) in 1848.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Estate papers of the Davies, Morris and Philipps families of Coomb in the parish of Llangynog, Carmarthenshire, comprising deeds, letters and accounts, 1630-1956, and maps and plans, [ c.1751]-1872, of the Coomb estate, the Green Castle estate, the Penybanc or Bryn Myrddin estate, the Cystanog estate, Abergwili; and the Morris family of Carmarthen Bank. Most of the archive relates to properties in Carmarthen town and the parishes of Llangynog and Llansteffan. There are few, if any, pre-1920 papers relating to Plas Llansteffan

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into three sections: deeds and documents, maps and plans, and miscellaneous

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Carmarthenshire Archive Service, National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives.

Language codes: eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by T. V. Fisher-Hoch of Plas Llanstephan. The catalogue is dated 1962.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further papers include a box of household bills and vouchers, 1791-1832, relating to Plas Llansteffan are National Library of Wales, Sir John Williams 217.

Publication note: Jones, Francis,' Cwm (Coomb): a Carmarthenshire house and its families', Carmarthenshire Historian, vii (1970), pp. 42-60; Jones, Francis,' Lloyd and Meares of Plas Llanstephan', Carmarthenshire Antiquarian, xiv (1978),pp. 42-59.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from residence of depositor

Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families (Newport, 1997); Beckley, Susan, 'The Carmarthenshire Record Office: a survey of holdings', The Carmarthenshire Antiquary, XV (1979).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: July 2001


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Davies family, | of Coomb | Archives
Deeds | Wales | Carmarthenshire
Estate administration | Wales | Carmarthen
Estate administration | Wales | Llangynog
Estate administration | Wales | Llansteffan
Morris family, | of Coomb | Archives
Phillipps family, | of Coomb | Archives

Personal names
Davies family , of Coomb
Morris family , of Coomb
Philipps family , of Coomb

Corporate names
Coomb Estate (Wales)
Green Castle Estate (Wales)
Penybanc Estate (Carmarthenshire, Wales)

Places
Carmarthenshire (Wales)
Llangynog (Carmarthenshire, Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details