ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Carmarthen Borough records

Reference code(s): GB 0211 CARM BORO

Held at: Carmarthenshire Archive Service

Title: Carmarthen Borough Records

Short Title: Carmarthen Borough records

Creation date(s): 1706-1980 (accumulated 1764-1974)

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 12.60 cubic metres; 60 volumes

Name of creator(s): Carmarthen Borough

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: At the end of the 13th century, Carmarthen was the largest Welsh town with probably a population over 1,000. By 1790, Carmarthen had a population of 6,000-7,000. Boroughs such as Carmarthen were granted a measure of self-government as well as trading rights such as the right to hold a fair and a market; the boroughs were established by a charter or a series of charters. The government of boroughs was reformed in 1835 under the Municipal Corporations Act, with improved financial regulation and elected councils. The boroughs were given more and more powers in the nineteenth century, covering policing and the public health. The Charter of 1546 made Carmarthen a Corporate Borough and appointed the mayor and Common Council, who had their own rights and privileges. A Carmarthen Borough Charter was granted by George III in 1764, creating a common council of twenty members, to be elected by the mayor and burgesses. The Borough and county officials administered the local government system. After 1875, Carmarthen Borough Council was granted new powers (equivalent to an Urban District Council). In 1974, Carmarthen Borough Council became a Town Council.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Carmarthen Borough, Carmarthenshire, 1706-1980, including Carmarthen minutes, 1835-1973; copy charters of confirmation for borough of Carmarthen, 1764-1796; bye-laws, 1875-1951; records relating to the police, 1836-1946; records relating to planning and housing, 1883-1969; deeds, 1814-1961; valuation lists of property liable to Poor Rates, 1836-1929; and rate books relating to the district and to water, 1907-1951.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English;Latin

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically into the following: Carmarthen Borough minute books; copy charters; correspondence; standing orders; bye-laws; acts of parliament; seal registers; declarations, diclosures and attendance; police; pensions committee; planning files; plans; planning/housing; royal, national and civic occasions; wartime; quarter sessions; elections; deeds; agricultural and horticultural shows; and other records.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: The register of new buildings, no. 2, 1898-1924, was found at the former borough offices in John Street, shortly before their demolition.

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by D. A. R. Jones, County Secretary Dyfed County Council, in 1975 and transferred by Peter Davies, Modern Records Manager, in 1998.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further papers are Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Museum Collection including minute books 1569 - 1835 and early nineteenth century rate books

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. Some records pre-date the existence of Carmarthen Borough Council.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of the description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Catalogue of Carmarthen Borough Records; Collis, Kim, The West Glamorgan Archive Service, A Guide to the Collections (Swansea, 1998); Lodwick, Joyce, Lodwick, Victor, The Story of Carmarthen (Carmarthen, 1994); Lloyd, Sir John E., A History of Carmarthenshire, vol. I ; vol. II (Cardiff, 1935, 1939); Prys-Jones, A.G., The Story of Carmarthenshire, vol.I (Landebie, 1959); R.A. Griffiths (ed.), Boroughs of Mediaeval Wales (Cardiff, 1978).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Boroughs | Wales | Carmarthen
Carmarthen (Wales : Borough) | Records and correspondence
Carmarthen (Wales). | Borough Council | Records and correspondence
Local government | Wales | Carmarthen

Personal names

Corporate names
Carmarthen (Wales : Borough)
Carmarthen (Wales) | Borough Council

Places
Carmarthen (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details