ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Ungoed-Thomas and King, solicitors, collection of Carmarthenshire deeds and records

Reference code(s): GB 0211 UNGING

Held at: Carmarthenshire Archive Service

Title: Ungoed-Thomas and King Collection

Short Title: Ungoed-Thomas and King, solicitors, collection of Carmarthenshire deeds and records

Creation date(s): 1719-1972

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.29 cubic metres and one volume

Name of creator(s): Ungoed-Thomas and King, Solicitors

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Ungoed-Thomas and King, Solicitors, of Quay Street, Carmarthen, were established c. 1878 and continue to offer legal services. The firm accumulated deeds and other papers of many estates and properties in Carmarthenshire. The Popkin family of Llangynog, Carmarthenshire, held land in Llangynin, Llangynog, and Tre-lech a'r Betws, Carmarthenshire, between c. 1740 and 1780. The Benyon family owned Bwlch and Blaencynnen, in the parishes of Merthyr and Newchurch, Carmarthenshire; by 1855, William Edward Bevan Gwyn, of Cwthhir, owned the estate. Castillyrhingill, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, was owned by Griffith Griffies (d. 1791) and passed onto his grandson, Griffith Powell (d. 1847) and his family. Dinas Mill, Tre-lech a'r Betws, was owned by Michael Evans, of Hafodwenog, in 1861; between 1880-1890, the property was held by David Evans; and by 1895, it was owned by Caleb James. Cwmdwfn Farm, Abergwili, Carmarthenshire, was held by the Morgan family in the period 1865-1882. Llwyn y Barcud, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, was owned by David Williams [1777]-[1791], John Griffiths [c. 1796] to [1809], and then the Thomas family, until 1937, when it was conveyed to Mrs M. A. Rees.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records and collected documents, 1719-1972, including business records of Ungoed-Thomas and King, Solicitors, 1939-1972, including judicial records, 1953-1972; commercial records, [c. 1943]-1960; clients' affairs, 1878-1964; administration of clients' estates, 1917-1958; case records, 1927-1950; miscellaneous, 1913-1962; plans, [c. 1960-1962]; photographs, [c. 1910]-[c. 1960]; deeds, 1740-1780, relating to land in the parishes of Llangynog, Llangynin, Tre-lech a'r Betws; deeds, 1803-1909, relating to Bwlch and Blaencynnen, Merthyr and Newchurch; documents relating mainly to Castillyrhingill, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, 1791-1893; deeds relating to Garregwen, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, 1818-1908; deeds relating to Dinas Mill, Tre-lech a'r Betws, 1861-1912; deeds relating to Cwmdwfn Farm, Abergwili, 1865-1882; deeds and documents relating to land in the parish of St. Peters, Carmarthen, 1835-1913; and deeds and documents relating to Llwyn y Barcud, Kidwelly, 1719-1949.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following groups: Llangynin, Llangynog and Tre-lech a'r Betws deeds; Bwlch and Blaencynnen deeds; Castillyrhingill deeds; Dinas Mill deeds; Cwmdwfn Farm deeds; Ungoed-Thomas and King records; and Llwyn y Barcud, Kidwelly, deeds.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archives Service have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: Deeds and documents relating to Waunrhydd, Newchurch, have been returned to the depositor.

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr Dafydd Williams, Solicitor, of Messrs Ungoed-Thomas and King, Carmarthen, between 1968 and 1989.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from depositor of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Solicitors Records; Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff 1969); Jones, Major Francis, Historic Houses of Carmarthenshire and Their Families (Newport, 1997).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Deeds | Wales | Carmarthenshire
Estate administration | Wales | Carmarthenshire
Ungoed-Thomas and King | Solicitors | Archives

Personal names
Benyon family , of Bwlch
Popkin family , of Llangynog
Powell family , of Castillyrhingill

Corporate names
Bwlch Estate (Wales)
Castillyrhingill Estate (Wales)
Dinas Mill, Tre-lech a'r Betws
Llwyn y Barcud Estate | (Wales)
Ungoed-Thomas and King

Places
Abergwili (Wales)
Carmarthenshire (Wales)
Cwmdwfn (Wales)
Kidwelly (Wales)
Llanfihangel Aberbythych (Wales)
Llangynin (Wales)
Llangynog (Carmarthenshire, Wales)
Merthyr (Wales)
Newchurch (Carmarthenshire, Wales)
Trelech-a’r-Bettws (Carmarthenshire, Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details