ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks records

Reference code(s): GB 0211 DB129

Held at: Carmarthenshire Archive Service

Title: Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks Records

Short Title: Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks records

Creation date(s): 1810-1948

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 1.2cubic metres; 18 volumes

Name of creator(s): Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Coal mining began in the 1790s in Pen-y-groes, near Ammanford, Carmarthenshire, but it was not until 1893 that the Emlyn Colliery was built, and 1904 before the Emlyn Colliery Company was established. The owner was G. Aeron Thomas. The Emlyn Colliery closed in 1939, but the Emlyn Brickworks remained open until the mid-1990s. The Colliery was the place of a six week long strike in the summer of 1934, the miners being led by Arthur Horner.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks, 1810-1948, including deeds relating to the Llangadock estate, 1810-1935; Llangadock estate accounts, 1938-1948; deeds relating to land in Llangefelach, 1904-1925; inventory of plant and machinery at Emlyn Colliery, 1905; blueprints and plans, 1915-[1960s]; accounts, 1925-1946; invoices, 1939-1944, subsidence claims, 1940; compensation forms, 1930s; fire and explosion reports, [1930s]; correspondence, 1890-1943; dispatch letters, 1939-1940; press cuttings, 1945; catalogues, 1930s; war pamphlets and letters, 1940-1946; and lantern slides of the colliery, [c. 1905].

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: The fonds is uncatalogued; it is arrnged into boxes.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the Box List is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archives Service have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: The archive was kept in the family of G Aeron Thomas.

Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains earlier deeds and estate papers realtion to land leased by the company.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Business Records; Davies, John, 'The Emlyn Colliery', Carmarthenshire Antiquary 30, pp. 136-138 (1994).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Brickworks | Wales | Pen-y-groes
Coal mines and mining | Wales | Pen-y-groes
Deeds | Wales | Carmarthenshire
Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks (Pen-y-groes, Wales) | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks (Pen-y-groes, Wales)

Places
Carmarthenshire (Wales)
Pen-y-groes (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Carmarthenshire Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details