ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Pembrokeshire Record Office
Little Milford Estate, Freystrop, Pembrokeshire, papers

Reference code(s): GB 0213 D/RTP/LM

Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office

Title: Papers relating to Little Milford Estate, Freystrop

Short Title: Little Milford Estate, Freystrop, Pembrokeshire, papers

Creation date(s): 1913-1949

Level of description: Fonds


Name of creator(s): Little Milford Estate, Freystrop


Administrative/Biographical history: The Little Milford Estate is in Freystrop, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. It was the home of the Roberts family in 1907. The family were involved in mining in the Freystrop parish at Hook. In 1884, Thomas Roberts and William Canton leased the West Park Colliery in Hook, and considerable mining activities were carried on in Freystrop. In 1911, a new shaft, called the 'Margaret' after Joseph Robert's wife (d. 1923), was opened. By 1921, the Hook Colliery Anthracite Company controlled the 'Margaret'. In the early 1930s, Hook was one of the most successful anthracite colleries in south west Wales, under T. W. Harcourt Roberts as the general manager. Hook colliery closed in 1948.


Scope and content/abstract: Little Milford Estate papers, comprising: correspondence, 1922-1942; Hook Colliery Anthracite Company papers, 1920-1938; Little Milford Estate sale papers, 1913-1949; and Roberts family papers, 1923-1942.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: correspondence; Hook Colliery Anthracite Company; Little Milford Estate; and Roberts family.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Pembrokeshire Record Office and the National Register of Archives.


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at the Pembrokeshire Record Office have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history: The papers came into the possession of Messrs RTP Williams, Solicitors.

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Messrs RTP Williams, Solicitors, Bridge Street, Haverfordwest.



Note: Title from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Papers relating to Little Milford Estate in Freystrop Parish catalogue; Jones, Francis, Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire and their Families (Newport, 1996); Harry, John, Pembrokeshire Coalfield ([Haverfordwest],1990)

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition, AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005

Coal mines and mining | Wales | Haverfordwest
Little Milford Estate (Wales) | Archives
Roberts family, | of Little Milford | Archives

Personal names
Roberts family , of Little Milford

Corporate names
Hook Colliery Anthracite Company
Hook Colliery Co.
Little Milford Estate (Wales)

Freystrop (Wales)
Hook (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details