ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Pembrokeshire Record Office
Cemaes Rural District Council, records

Reference code(s): GB 0213 CER

Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office

Title: Cemaes Rural District Council Records

Short Title: Cemaes Rural District Council, records

Creation date(s): 1838-1976

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: To be supplied

Name of creator(s): Cemaes Rural District Council; Llanfyrnach Rural District Council; St Dogmaels Rural District Council.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Llanfyrnach and St Dogmaels Rural District Councils in Pembrokeshire were created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894. Llanfyrnach rural district comprised the parishes of Capel Colman, Castellan, Clydai, Llanfyrnach, Penrhydd, and West Cilrhedyn. St Dogmaels rural district comprised Bayvil, Bridell, Cilgerran, Dinas, Eglwyswrw, Llanfair Nant Gwyn, Llanfihangel Penbedw, Llantwyd, Llanychlwydog, Maenordeifi, Melinau, Monington, Moylgrove, Nevern, Newport, St Dogmaels and Whitechurch (Eglwyswen). In 1934, the councils were amalgamated to form Cemaes Rural District Council. The Councils comprised councillors and a chairman, and their responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. They also became rating authorities in 1925. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Public Health Inspector, Housing Officer, Surveyor and Rating Officer. Cemaes Rural District Council was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation and its functions were assumed by Preseli Pembrokeshire District Council.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Llanfyrnach, St Dogmaels and Cemaes Rural District Councils, 1838-1976, comprising Clerk's records, 1856-1976, including minutes, 1910-1974, miscellaneous registers, 1920-1974, deeds and leases, 1901-1970, byelaws, 1913-1968, photographs, [c. 1900]-1974, public health files, 1969-1976, subject files relating to finance, sewerage, housing, water and other subjects, 1938-1973, attendance registers, 1937-1974, and agreements and contracts, 1935-1956; Medical Officer of Health reports, 1920-1938; Sanitary Inspector's records, 1902-1950; District Surveyors' records, 1838-1973, including tithe and water maps and plans; Treasurer's department records, 1907-1974, including general and parochial ledgers, 1907-1974, reviews and reports, 1961-1973, wages and salaries records, 1930-1958, and valuation lists and rate books, 1928-1972.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk's department; health department; Surveyors' department; and Treasurer's department.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Pembrokeshire Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Only a sample of Treasurer's vouchers have been retained. The remainder have been destroyed.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited from various sources: parts transferred from Modern Records, 1981, 1983; transferred by the Finance Department, Carmarthen District Council, Spilman Street, Carmarthen, 1984; transferred from Preseli District Council, 1985; deposited by the Solicitor's Department, Preseli Pembrokeshire District Council, 1986; deposited by Mr R. Griffiths, Preseli Pembrokeshire District Council, 1988; deposited per Councillor E. G. Setterfield, 1997; transferred by Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest, 2002; deposited by Mr K. Bartlett of the Transportation and Environment Dept, Pembrokeshire County Council, 2003; and transferred from the Records Management Unit.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Records of the former Cardigan Poor Law Union, whose functions were partly assumed by the Rural District Councils, are in Pembrokeshire Record Office, SPU/4.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains earlier records accumulated by the Councils.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Cemaes Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Cemais (Pembrokeshire, Wales). | Rural District Council | Archives
Llanfyrnach (Wales). | Rural District Council | Archives
Local government | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Public welfare | Wales | Pembrokeshire
St Dogmaels (Wales). | Rural District Council | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Cemais (Pembrokeshire, Wales) | Rural District Council
Llanfyrnach (Wales) | Rural District Council
St Dogmaels (Wales) | Rural District Council

Places
Cemais (Pembrokeshire, Wales)
Llanfyrnach (Wales)
St Dogmaels (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details