ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Pembrokeshire Record Office
Fishguard and Goodwick Urban District Council, records

Reference code(s): GB 0213 FGU

Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office

Title: Fishguard and Goodwick Urban District Council Records

Short Title: Fishguard and Goodwick Urban District Council, records

Creation date(s): 1879-1983

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: To be supplied

Name of creator(s): Fishguard Urban District Council; Goodwick Urban District Council; Fishguard and Goodwick Urban District Council; Fishguard and Goodwick Town Council.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Fishguard Urban District Council (UDC), Pembrokeshire, was established in 1907 under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894. Goodwick UDC was similarly formed in 1923 from parts of the parishes of Jordanston, Llanwnda and Manorowen, Pembrokeshire. Both had previously been part of Haverfordwest rural district. They were amalgamated in 1934 to form Fishguard and Goodwick UDC. The Councils comprised councillors and a chairman, who originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Councils' responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, housing, streets, cemeteries (operating Llanwnda cemetery), libraries, parks, controls on buildings such as petrol stations, and licensing of public entertainments. From 1925 they also became rating authorities. UDCs were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Medical Officer of Health, Surveyor, Rating Officer and Sanitary Inspector. Fishguard and Goodwick UDC was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation. It was replaced by Fishguard and Goodwick Town Council and most of its previous powers were assumed by Preseli Pembrokeshire District Council.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Fishguard UDC, Goodwick UDC and Fishguard and Goodwick UDC, 1879-1983, comprising Clerks' records, 1890-1983, including minutes, 1907-1974, miscellaneous registers, 1899-1974, licences, 1940-1968, Second World War records, 1941-1945, byelaws, 1909-1958, Clerk's subject files, 1931-1983, orders, 1907-1934, deeds, leases and agreements, 1890-1974, and records relating to Llanwnda cemetery, 1940-1974; Treasurers' records, 1879-1973, including general ledgers, 1907-1973, valuation and rating records, 1879-1972, wages and salaries records, 1935-1971, bank books, 1914-1935, and abstracts of accounts, 1939-1973; Health Department records, 1911-1969, including various registers, 1923-1962; Surveyors' records, 1923-1974; and Fishguard and Goodwick Town Council minutes, 1974-1980.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk's Department; Treasurer's Department; Health Department; and Surveyor's Department.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Pembrokeshire Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: The records of the Council passed to its successor bodies.

Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred from the Town Hall, Fishguard, 1978, 1979; deposited by David Bowen, Secretary to Preseli District Council, 1979; transferred from Preseli District Council, 1985; transferred from Modern Records, 1982; deposited by the Solicitor's Department, Preseli Pembrokeshire District Council, 1986; deposited by R. Griffiths, Preseli Pembrokeshire District Council, 1988; deposited by Pembrokeshire County Council's Transportation and Environment Department per the Records Management Unit, 2001; transferred by Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest, 2002.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further records are in Pembrokeshire Record Office, PCC/HE/2/107-136.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. Items postdating 1974 relate to Fishguard and Goodwick Town Council; some rating records pre-date the formation of the Urban District Council.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Fishguard and Goodwick Urban District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Cemeteries | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Fishguard & Goodwick Urban District Council | Archives
Local government | Wales | Fishguard and Goodwick

Personal names

Corporate names
Fishguard & Goodwick Urban District Council
Fishguard (Wales) | Urban District Council
Fishguard and Goodwick (Wales) | Town Council
Goodwick (Wales) | Urban District Council

Places
Fishguard (Wales)
Fishguard and Goodwick (Wales)
Goodwick (Wales)
Llanwnda (Pembrokeshire, Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details