ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Pembrokeshire Record Office
Community Councils, Pembrokeshire, records

Reference code(s): GB 0213 HSPC

Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office

Title: Community Councils Records

Short Title: Community Councils, Pembrokeshire, records

Creation date(s): 1867-2001

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: Information to be supplied

Name of creator(s): Pembrokeshire Civil Parish Councils; Pembrokeshire Community Councils


Administrative/Biographical history: Civil Parish Councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894, taking over administrative functions from parish council vestry meetings, with powers over rating, public spaces and amenities, cemeteries. Their records contain minute books, financial statements, correspondence, copies of planning applications, and rate lists. Community councils replaced parish councils under local government reorganization in 1974. Hayscastle, St Lawrence and St Edrins became a joint parish council in 1947. W. J. Owen of Summerhill, Roch, was Clerk of the Peace as well as a member of Roch parish council: he also acted as agent for the Liberal Party. Castlemartin Parish Council was re-constituted in 1954, and was enlarged to include Warren in 1971. Haroldston St Issels Parish Council was established in 1950; the hamlet of St Thomas was added in 1964. St Mary Out Liberty Parish Council was formed in 1962. Bletherston Parish Council was grouped with that for Clarbeston in 1963, and in 1987 was incorporated in New Moat Community Council. Eglwyswen continued to hold a parish meeting from 1894 to 1929, when it became a Parish Council.


Scope and content/abstract: Records of Parish Council and Community Councils, Pembrokeshire, 1867-2001: records of Newport Parish Council, 1894-1963, Johnston Parish Council, 1929-1962, Lampeter Velfrey Parish Council, 1895-1955, Ambleston Parish Council, 1894-1974, Llanfyrnach Parish Council, 1906-1980, Llanfihangel Penbedw Parish Council, 1894-1944, Carew Parish Council, 1894-1957, Carew Community Council, 1958-1995, Manor Deifi Parish Council, 1903-1921, Llangwm Parish Council, 1899-1981, Llangwm Community Council, 1981-1997, Hayscastle, St Lawrence and St Edrins Joint Parish Council, 1894-1974, Rudbaxton Parish Council, 1894-1955, St Dogwells Parish Council, 1894-1966, Llanfairnantgwyn Parish Council, 1931-1962, Angle Parish Council, 1894-1955, Llanwnda Parish Council, 1899-1987, Llanrhian Parish Council, 1894-1971, St Isselles Parish Council, 1857-1961, St Issells Community Council, 1910-1974, Mathry Parish Council, 1894-1948, Freystrop, Hundleton Parish Council, 1894-1974, Eglwyswen Parish Council, 1894-1987, St Dogmaels Parish Council, 1874-1973, Manorbier Parish Council, 1894-1990, St Florence Community Council, 1894-2003, Steynton Parish Council, 1894-1974, St Nicholas and Granston Parish Council, 1894-1974, Brawdy Parish Council, 1845-1974, Penally Parish Council and Penally Community Council, 1894-1985, Cosheston Parish Council and Cosheston Community Council, 1893-1975, Roch Parish Council, and papers of W. J. Owen of Summerhill, 1867-1924, Burton Parish Council, 1896-1989, Amroth Parish Council and Amroth Community Council, 1844-1992, Whitchurch (Solva) Parish Council and Community Council, 1883-1992, Llantood Parish Council, 1934-1937, Marloes Parish Council, 1894-1973, Spittal Parish Council, 1894-1975, East Williamston Parish Council, 1842-1956, Castlemartin and Warren Parish Council and Castlemartin and Warren Community Council, 1894-1976, North Prendergast Parish Meeting and North Prendergast Community Council, 1974-1989, Walwyns Castle Parish Council and Walwyns Castle Community Council, 1938-1980, Talbenny, Walton West and Haroldston West Parish Council and Community Council, 1894-1984, Havens Community Council, 1894-1989, Fishguard South Parish Council and Fishguard South Community Council, 1907-1982, Haroldston St Issells and St Thomas Parish Council and Community Council, 1951-1974, Moylegrove Parish Council and Community Council, 1894-1987, Dinas Parish Council, 1895-1964, Stackpole Elidor and St Petrox Parish Council and Community Council, 1945-1990, Rhoscrowther and Pwlcrochan Parish Council and Community Council, 1884-1974, Slebech Parish Council, 1894-1974, Martletwy Parish Council and Community Council, 1894-1993, Begelly Parish Council and Begelly Community Council, 1894-1980, Llawhaden Parish Council and Llawhaden Community Council, 1894-1990, St Mary Out Liberty Parish Council and Community Council, 1961-1990, Rosemarket Parish Council and Rosemarket Community Council, 1895-1990, Jeffreyston Parish Council and Jeffreyston Community Council, 1894-1979, Llanddewi Velfrey, Uzmaston and Boulston Community Council, 1894-1998, Narberth North Parish Council, 1900-1954, Redberth, Crunwear Parish Council, 1935-1986, Ludchurch Parish Council and Ludchurch Community Council, 1940-1986, New Moat Parish Council, 1894-1987, Llysyfran Parish Council, 1968-1986, Tiers Cross Community Council, 1974-1995, Bletherston Parish Council, 1894-1963, Templeton Community Council, 1862-1986, Crymych Community Council, 1987-1990, Wiston Community Council, 1894-2001, Letterston Community Council, 1919-2000, Nevern Parish Council, 1894-1964, and Llanstadwell Parish Council, 1894-1974.


Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh

System of arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by parish/community.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Physical characteristics: The first minute book of St Edrins is reported in HSPC/10/1 as missing.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Pembrokeshire Record Office.


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained. The deposited material included large numbers of circulars, reports, consultative papers and similar documents issued to all Councils by County Councils, District Councils, Associations of Local Councils, Health Authorities and similar bodies. To avoid unnecessary duplication, such papers have been removed from the Parish/Community Council records, and complete sets of all of them have been established under the reference of the originating authority.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Clerk, Alun Davies, Newport, between 1968 and March 2004.


Related material: Further papers are Pembrokeshire Record Office, HSPC/35, HDX/467, and HPR/32.


Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains some earlier material accumulated by the Councils.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Parish/Community Councils, catalogue.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2005

Capel y Crwys (Three Crosses, Gower, Wales) | Archives
Local government | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Parish councils (Local government) | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Pembrokeshire (Wales) | Politics and government

Personal names
Owen , W. J. , of Roch

Corporate names

Pembrokeshire (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details