ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Pembrokeshire Record Office
Coroners records for Pembrokeshire

Reference code(s): GB 0213 T/CR

Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office

Title: Coroners Records

Short Title: Coroners records for Pembrokeshire

Creation date(s): 1886-2001

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: Information to be supplied

Name of creator(s): Coroner of the Lower Division of Pembrokeshire


Administrative/Biographical history: Coroners were originally royal officers who, from the 12th century onwards, held inquests into matters affecting Crown rights, including sudden death, treasure trove and wrecks. Pembrokeshire was orioginally covered by two coroners, for the Upper and Lower Division of the county. The Upper Division of Pembrokeshire was abolished in April 1974. The Coroner for the Lower Division was based in Milford Haven; a Deputy Coroner was based at Fishguard.


Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Coroner of the Lower Division of Pembrokeshire, mainly registers of deaths reported and inquests held, 1886-2001; administrative records, 1932-1980; Coroner's notifications, 1965-1975; and certificates after inquest, 1971-1974.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: daily records; and administrative records. From April 1974 onwards, the files have been integrated into one series (combining the records of the Coroner and Deputy Coroner), in the order in which they are recorded in the Coroner's daily record.

Conditions governing access: Restricted access. The daily records and administrative records, 1974-1987 are closed to public inspection for a period of 75 years. Other files transferred in September 1968, in February 1973, in March 1976, and in February 1980, are closed to public inspection for a period of 75 years.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Pembrokeshire Record Office.


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: From 1974 to 1980, the Deputy Coroner continued to maintain his own record of deaths and his own files in Fishguard; these were, however, also recorded in the Coroner's daily record in Milford Haven.

Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred by J. F. Johnson, Price and Kelway, Hamilton Terrace, Milford Haven and M. Howells, Coroner's Clerk between September 1968 and March 2005.



Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Coroners Records, catalogue, Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History, (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1997).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2005

Coroners | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Death certificates | Wales | Pembrokeshire

Personal names

Corporate names
Pembrokeshire (Wales) | County Coroner

Milford Haven (Wales)
Pembrokeshire (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details