ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Pembrokeshire Record Office
Hospital records for Pembrokeshire

Reference code(s): GB 0213 T/HOS

Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office

Title: Hospital Records

Short Title: Hospital records for Pembrokeshire

Creation date(s):

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: Information to be supplied

Name of creator(s): Withybush Hospital; Kensington Hospital (St Brides); Sealyham Hospital; Tenby Cottage Hospital; Welsh Board of Health; Pembroke County War Memorial Hospital; St Thomas's Hospital, Haverfordwest

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Prior to the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, there was a complex pattern of hospital provision in Pembrokeshire, supported by government and charitable funding, including isolation hospitals for the quarantining of saliors and tuberculosis hospitals. In Pembroke Dock, there were Meyrick Hospital, Pembroke Cottage Hospital and the Isolation Hospital, which later became South Pembrokeshire Maternity Hospital. The County War Memorial Hospital, Haverfordwest, was previously the Pembrokeshire and Haverfordwest Infirmary until 1916 and the Pembrokeshire County War Memorial Hospital from 1923 to 1935. Sealyham Hospital, St Dogwells, was a tuberculosis hospital under the care of the Tuberculosis Physician for Pembrokeshire, who was also responsible for Haverfordwest Tuberculosis Clinic and Kensington Hospital, St Brides. Sealyham Hospital was opened in 1923 by the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association for the treatment of Tuberculosis. The hospital was transferred to the West Wales Hospital Management Committee with the arrival of the National Health Service in 1948 and it closed in the early 1960s. Tenby Cottage Hospital opened in the 1880s. The Welsh Board of Health was reponsible for strategic planning of healthcare in Wales under the National Health Service.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Hospital records, Pembrokeshire, 1898-1074, including records relating to Meyrick Hospital, Pembroke Cottage Hospital and the Isolation Hospital, Pembroke Dock, 1948-1952, Sealyham Hospital, 1948-1952, County War Memorial Hospital records, 1926-1973, records relating to Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, 1901-1961, including operation registers, 1931-1946, theatre registers, 1964-1979, newspaper cuttings, 1955-1957, records relating to Kensington Hospital, 1907-1973, records of St Thomas's Hospital, Haverfordwest, 1936-1965, records of Tenby Cottage Hospital, 1884-1974, Pembroke and District Cottage Hospital, 1913-1946, records of Sealyham Hospital, [c. 1922]-1967, and Welsh Board of Health records, 1962-1969.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: County War Memorial Hospital; Kensington Hospital; St Thomas's Hospital; Tenby Cottage Hospital; Pembroke and District Cottage Hospital; Sealyham Hospital records; and Welsh Board of Health files.

Conditions governing access: There is a 100 years closure for any records containing medical information such as casualty registers, register of operations performed and pathology registers.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Pembrokeshire Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained. Duplicate annual reports of Pembroke and District Infirmary transferred to this colelction from T/CHA in February 1984.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred by H. Downes, District Administrator, in July 1974; received from M. Park, Pembrokeshire Health Authority, County Hospital, Haverfordwest, August 1982; transferred by Mrs Goodall, Chest Clinic, Withybush Hospital, in February 1984; Welsh Board of Health files in respect of Pembrokeshire deposited by the Glamorgan Record Office in September 1995.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further records are Carmarthen Record Office, T/HOS/1/38, Pembrokeshire Record Office, PCC/HE/7/7,12,13.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Hospital Records, catalogue.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Health boards | Wales
Health services administration | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Hospitals | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Tuberculosis | Hospitals | Wales

Personal names

Corporate names
Great Britain | Welsh Board of Health
Pembroke County War Memorial Hospital
Pembroke Cottage Hospital
Sealyham Hospital
St Thomas's Hospital (Haverfordwest, Wales)
Tenby Cottage Hospital
Withybush Hospital

Places
Haverfordwest (Wales)
Pembroke Dock (Wales)
Pembrokeshire (Wales)
St Brides (Pembrokeshire, Wales)
St Dogwells (Wales)
Tenby (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details