ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Pembrokeshire Record Office
Church Parish Registers, Pembrokeshire

Reference code(s): GB 0213 HPR

Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office

Title: Church Parish Registers

Short Title: Church Parish Registers, Pembrokeshire

Creation date(s): 1602-2002

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: Information to be supplied

Name of creator(s): Church parishes, Pembrokeshire

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: In 1538, the keeping of records by the parish of baptisms, marriages and burials became mandatory in Wales. The responsibility fell on the Anglican minister of the parish. In Pembrokeshire, registers of baptism, marriages and burials survive for about 150 Anglican parishes. In 1837, responisbility for registration passed to the civil authorities. Records continued to be maintained by the parishes, and following the creation of the Church in Wales, the registers were mainly deposited at the National Library of Wales. Some had previously passed into private hands and thence to Pembrokeshire Record Office. In addition to maintaining the registers, the parishes had a role in local government through their Vestry meetings, and were involved in the administration of the Poor Law and rates. They also compiled their own records, including churchwarden's accounts. T he records of the following parishes are deposited at the Pembrokeshire Record Office (some of them are on microfilm): Pembroke Dock, Haverfordwest: St Mary's, Steynton, Johnston, Manorbier, Llangwm, Freystrop, Rudbaxton, St Edrins, Mathry, Granston, St Nicholas, Milford Haven, Cosheston, Nash with Upton, Brawdy, Hayscastle, Llanreithan, St Florence, Redberth, Herbrandston, Hasguard, St Ishmaels, Pembroke St Mary, Haverfordwest: St Martins, Lambston, Llanfairnantygof, Ludchurch, Maenclochog, Slebech, Nolton, Roch, Newport, Spittal, Treffgarne, Narberth, Robeston Wathen, Hubberston, Llysyfran, Mounton, Martletwy, Lawrenni, Newton North, Minwear, Penally, Letterston, St Lawrence, Ford, Ambleston, St Dogwells, Haroldston West, Talbenny, Walton West, Pwllcrochan, Rhoscrowther, Warren, Castlemartin, Llanrhian, Walwyns Castle, New Moat, Haroldston St Issells, Marloes, St Brides, Llanfyrnach, Clynderwen, Llanfallteg, Llangan, Carew, Lamphey, Hodgeston, Prendergast, Uzmaston, Boulston, Loveston, Yerbeston, Lampeter Velfrey, Gumfreston, Tenby, Morfil, Llanychlwydog, Pontfaen, Llandeloy, Haverfordwest: St Thomas, Whitchurch (Solva), St Elvis, Llangolman, Mynachlogddu, Clarbeston, Llanstinan, Manorwen, Llanwnda, Monkton, Rosemarket, Crunwere, Pembroke St Michael, Amroth, Nevern, Llanddewi Velfrey, Camrose, St Petrox, Bosherston, St Twynnells, Stackpole Elider, Burton, Crinow, Llawhaden, Llandissilio, Bayvil, Begelly, Bletherston, Bridell, Capel Colman, Castleblythe, Cilgerran, Cilrhedyn, Clydey, Dale, Dinas, Eglwyswrw, Fishguard, Henry's Moat, Jeffreyston, Jordanston, Little Newcastle, Llandilo, Llanfair Nant Gwyn, Llanfihangel Penbedw, Llanhowel, Llanllawer, Llanstadwell, Llantood, Llan-Y-Cefn, Llanychaer, Manordeifi, Meline, Monington, Moylegrove, Penrith, Puncheston, Reynolston, Robeston West, St Davids, St Dogmaels, St Issells, Walton East, Whitechurch-Eglwyswen, Wiston and Cilgwyn (Nevern).

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Parish Registers, Pembrokeshire, 1602-2002, including parish records of the following: Ambleston, 1904-1965; Amroth, 1786-1950; Bosherston, 1813-1985; Boulston, 1786-1923; Brawdy, 1813-1994; Camrose, 1795-1983; Carew, 1718-1974; Castlemartin, 1787-1942; Clarbeston, 1718-1993; Clynderwen, 1946-1974; Cosheston, 1783-1957; Crinow, 1900; Crunwere, 1783-1978; Dale, 1789-1924; Freystrop, 1729-1972; Granston, 1793-1991; Gumfreston, 1647-1974; records relating to Burton Church and N.P. School, 1840-1939; microfilm copies of parish registers at the NLW, [20th century]; Haroldston St Issells, 1813-1990; Haroldston West, 1693-1992; Hasguard, 1813-1969; St Martin's,Haverfordwest, 1721; St Mary's, Haverfordwest, 1602-1974; St Thomas's, Haverfordwest, 1710-1960; Hayscastle, 1837-1992; Henry's Moat, 1755-1837; Herbrandston, 1717-1992; Hodgeston, 1755-1995; Hubberston, 1702-1993; Jeffreston, 1730-1971; Johnston, 1813-1988; Jordanston, 1802-1896; Lambston, 1737-1991; Lampeter Velfrey, 1813-1992; Lamphey, 1776-1997; Llandissilio, 1720-1969; Llanfairnantygof, 1801-1975; Llanfallteg, 1711-1954; Llanfyrnach, 1765-1994; Llangan, 1768-1992; Llangwm, 1716-1973; Llanreithan, 1799-1977; Llanstinan, 1814-1979; Llanwnda, 1777-1975; Loveston, 1777-1977; Maenclochog, 1813-1993; Manorwen, 1779-1993; Marloes, 1749-1966; Martletwy, 1760-1965; Mathry, 1729-1947; Milford Haven, 1808-1968; Minwear, 1753-1975; Monkton, 1748-1988; Morvil, 1814-1978; Mounton, 1940-1955; Mynachlogddu, 1813-1993; Narberth, 1676-1966; Nash with Upton, 1742-1976; New Moat, 1755-1990; Nolton, 1704-1991, Pembroke Dock, 1844-2002; St Mary, Pembroke, Dock, 1844-2002; St Mary, Pembroke, 1711-1970; St Michael, Pembroke, 1822-1977; Penally, 1738-1993; Pontfaen, 1815-1986; Prendergast, 1886-1961; Redberth, 1911-1978; Rhoscrowther, 1856-1993; Robeston Wathen, 1790-1970; Roch, 1677-2000; Rosemarket, 1804-1999; Rudbaxton, 1735-1976; St Brides, 1725-1992; St Dogwells, 1812-1967; St Edrins, 1791-1932; St Elvis, 1817-1898; St Florence, 1763-1994; St Ishmaels, 1761-1975; St Lawrence, 1767-1992; St Nicholas, 1779-1993; Slebech, 1788-1975; Spittal, 1784-1992; Steynton, 1637-1987; Talbenny, 1764-1991; Tenby, 1673-1972; Treffgarne, 1727-1990; Uzmaston, 1720-1990; Walton West, 1763-1992; Warren, 1882-1990; Whitchurch, 1752-1994; Whitchurch, Solva, 1753-1994; Wiston, 1754-1993; and Yerberston, 1813-1976.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged in alphabetical order.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Pembrokeshire Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by W.S.T. Morgan, The Vicarage, Ambleston between September 1972 and by V. F. Millgate, Manorbier, Tenby, in August 2003.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of copies: The National Library of Wales holds microfilm copies of registers held at Pembrokeshire Record Office.

Related material: Further records are in NLW and Pembrokeshire Record Office, HDX/1166/5; HDX/1347/1; HPR/72; HDX/1212/40; HDX/1212/41; HDX/1212/42; HDX/1212/57; HDX/1552/2; HDX/1066/1; HDX/1022; HDX/1166/3; HDX/232/1; HDX/453/5; HDX/335/1. HDX/1382/1-4; HDX/1605/1; D/WI/10/1; HDX/1212/57; HDX/1361/5 and 6. Castlelythe Civil Register 1953-1957 is held in Cardiff Central Library - microfilm at the National Library.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Pembrokeshire Record Office, Church Parish Records, catalogue;.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: July 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Archives, Diocesan | Wales
Burial | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Church in Wales. | Diocese of St. Davids | Archives
Church records and registers | Wales | Pembrokeshire
Marriage records | Wales | Pembrokeshire

Personal names

Corporate names
Church in Wales | Diocese of St. Davids

Places
Pembrokeshire (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Pembrokeshire Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details