ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Rice family of Glamorgan papers

Reference code(s): GB 0214 DD

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Glamorgan estate of the Rice family, Barons Dynevor papers

Short Title: Rice family of Glamorgan papers

Creation date(s): 1434-1935

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 1.08 cubic metres (c. 1400 items)

Name of creator(s): Rice family, Barons Dynevor


Administrative/Biographical history: Mary Pritchard, daughter and co-heiress of Edward Pritchard of Llancaeach, Glamorgan, married David Jenkins of Hensol in the same county. The male line of the Jenkins family from Hensol became extinct in the 18th century. The Hensol estate then passed by marriage to the Mathew family of Castell-y-mynach, Pentyrch, Glamorgan. Cecil Mathew, daughter and heiress of Charles Mathew of Castell-y-mynach and Hensol married Charles, 1st Baron Talbot. Charles and Cecil's son and heir, William Talbot, 2nd baron, was created Earl Talbot in 1761, and Baron Dynevor in 1780. His only child, Cecil, married George Rice of Newton (the original name of Dynevor Castle or Dynevor Park, otherwise Dinefwr) Carmarthenshire. The remainder of the peerage or barony of Dynevor was left to Cecil who became baroness Dynevor in 1782. She assumed the name of De Cardonnel by royal licence in 1787, pursuant to the will of her mother. William was succeeded in the Barony of Talbot by his nephew, John Chetwynd Talbot of Hensol. George and Cecil's son and heir was George Talbot Rice, 3rd Baron Dynevor, who inherited Castell y Mynach and a moiety of the Llancaeach estate. He served as Tory M.P. for Carmarthenshire 1790-1793. He assumed the additional surname of De Cardonnell by royal licence in 1793, but resumed the name Rice by royal licence in 1817. He was succeeded by his only son, George Rice, 4th baron, who assumed the additional surname of Trevor on inheriting the estates of the Trevors of Glynde, Sussex. He died without male heir and the estate therefore passed to his cousin, Francis William, 5th baron, vicar of Fairford, Gloucestershire. Francis's heir was his grandson, Walter Fitzuryan, 7th baron, who married Lady Margaret Child-Villiers, eldest daughter of the 3rd Earl of Jersey. He re-assumed by royal licence the surname of Rhys in lieu of Rice. According to the 1873 return of owners of land the Rev. Lord Dynevor owned an estimated 10, 509 acres, all in Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan, with an estimated annual rental of £18,552.


Scope and content/abstract: Papers relating to the Llancaeach estate of Edward Pritchard and his descendants, 1434, 1513-1789, 1859; deeds of the Llancaeach, Castell-y-mynach, and Hensol estates in Glamorgan, 1490-1908, and deeds relating to Newbridge Mill [Pontypridd], Llanwonno, Glamorgan (part of the Castell-y-mynach estate), 1717-1787; estate management records of the Llancaeach, Castell-y-mynach, and Hensol estates, including surveys, 1701-1776, and rentals and accounts, 1722-1832,1807-34; papers relating to local authority and county council schemes, 1897-1928; family and estate papers of the Mathew family of Castell-y-mynach, and associated families, including legal disputes, 1585-1777; the Jenkins family of Hensol, 1661-1721; and the Talbot family of Hensol, 1732-1785; and papers testifying to the families's industrial undertakings, including railways, 1881-1914, Cyfarthfa Ironworks, 1890-1930,and coal mines and quarries, all in Glamorgan, 1889-1924.


Language/scripts of material: English, Latin

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following:: Dynevor estate Part 1 - Llancaeach (later Wingfield and Mackintosh); Castell-y-mynach and Hensol estates; and out-county.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Glamorgan Record Office and the National Register of Archives.


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:


Related material: Further papers relating to the Hensol estate are National Library of Wales, Hensol Estate Records, and to the Neath abbey estate of the Dynevor family, West Glamorgan Archive Service, DD Part 2. Further papers relating to the Dynevor estate in Carmarthenshire are Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Dynevor Muniments, and National Library of Wales, Dynevor Estate Records.


Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project.

The following source was used in the compilation of this description: The Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, (London, 1959); Burke's Peerage and Knightage, (London, 1959); James, Brian, 'The Great Landowners of Wales in 1873', National Library of Wales Journal, XIV (1965-6).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: November 2001

Coal mines and mining | Wales | Glamorgan
Deeds | Wales | Glamorgan
Estate administration | Wales | Glamorgan
Industries | Wales | Glamorgan
Iron industry and trade | Wales | Glamorgan
Local government | Wales | Glamorgan
Railways | Wales | Glamorgan
Rice family, | of Dynevor | Archives
Rice family, | of Glamorgan Estate | Archives

Personal names
Jenkins family , of Hensol
Mathew family , of Castell-y-Mynach
Pritchard family
Rice family , Barons Dynevor
Talbot family , Earls Talbot

Corporate names
Castell-y-Mynach Estate (Wales)
Hensol Estate (Wales)
Llancaiach Estate | (Wales)
Newbridge Mill (Llanwonno, Wales)

Llanwonno (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details