Reference code(s): GB 0214 DGLO2
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Prichard family of Collenna, Llantrisant,papers
Short Title: Prichard family of Collenna, Llantrisant, papers
Creation date(s): 1603-1907
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.06 cubic metres (c. 125 items)
Name of creator(s): Collenna estate, Llantrisant
Administrative/Biographical history: The Prichard family descended from the Gibbon family of Trecastell, Llanharry, Glamorgan. Evan ap Richard, second son of Richard Gibbon was the first of this branch. He married Gwenllian, heiress of William Thomas of Collenna, and settled there in about 1500. The estate then descended in the male line, with the Prichard surname becoming established with Evan Prichard. Evan Prichard was the ancestor in the male line of the Rev. Richard Prichard, vicar of Llangan, 1811, and Port Eynon, 1803, and senior vicar of Llandaff Cathedral. Richard's son, John Prichard (1817-1886), was diocesan architect of Llandaff, and was responsible, along with J. F. Seddon, for the extensive restoration of Llandaff Cathedral between 1844 and 1857.
Scope and content/abstract: Deeds of the Collenna estate, mainly in Glamorgan, 1603-1856, estate accounts, marriage settlements, probate records, etc., 1752-1881; Inland Revenue accounts and correspondence, etc., 1864-1907; tithe account book, 1844-1887; a valuation of Collenna and Gilfach estates, 1894; and executors of Rev. Richard Prichard's accounts, receipts, correspondence, etc. There are no papers relating to John Prichard's work as diocesan architect in the archive.
Language/scripts of material: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Not known.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: The archive was originally held at Gloucestershire Record Office.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Clark, George, T., Limbus Patrum Morganiae et Glamorganiae, (London, 1886); Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales, (London, 2 vols, 1872), vol. I,; Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, (London, 1959); Llandaff Cathedral website (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/llandaff/), viewed February 2002.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2002