ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Angelina Street/Welcome Mission, Cardiff records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 DX819

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Angelina Street/Welcome Mission, Cardiff records

Short Title: Angelina Street/Welcome Mission, Cardiff records

Creation date(s): 1907-1994

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.003 cubic metres (20 papers, 4 booklets, 3 files, 24 photographs)

Name of creator(s): Angelina Street Mission

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Angelina Street Mission was founded in 1906 by Mr James Phillips of Cardiff, and became affiliated with the Christian Community based in London in 1909. The Christian Community is an inter-denominational society dedicated to preaching the gospel in hospitals, social welfare centres, mission halls and the open air. In 1950 the Angelina Street Mission split with the Christian Community, and under its new name of the Welcome Mission, its leadership was taken over by James Phillips's daughters. For several years services were held in private homes in the Cardiff docks area, and at a seaman's lodging house. Eventually a new hall was found c1953 over a garage in Loudoun Place, known by mission workers as the `upper room'. By this time the residents in and around Loudoun Square were predominantly black, Asian or of mixed heritage. A fire caused serious damage to the hall in 1959, and the mission moved out and held services in vacant shop premises in Bute Street. In 1972 the Welcome Mission again joined with the Christian Community, who had continued to occupy the old Angelina Street Mission, and a new building was opened in Angelina Street on 11 November 1972, known as the Welcome Mission. The Christian Community decided to sell this building to the New Testament Church in 1985, and for 12 months the Welcome Mission held services in Loudoun Square Methodist Church. In 1986 it amalgamated with the Hannah Street Mission Church in Pomeroy Street, Cardiff, and services continue to be held there at the time of the deposit of these records in 1994.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Miscellaneous documents, 1907-1994; photographs, 1920-1980; newscuttings, c1920s-1972

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged by type and date

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Archives by a private individual, 1994

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Archives finding aids.

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: December 2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Blacks | Wales | Cardiff
Minorities | Wales | Cardiff
Missions | Wales | Cardiff

Personal names
Phillips , James

Corporate names
Angelina Street Mission (Cardiff, Wales)
Christian Community (Great Britain : 1685-)
Welcome Mission (Cardiff, Wales)

Places
Butetown (Wales)
Cardiff (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details