Reference code(s): GB 0214 DECONG6
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Cardiff New Trinity [Congregational] Church records
Short Title: Cardiff New Trinity [Congregational] Church records
Creation date(s): 1842-1990
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.06 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Cardiff New Trinity English Congregational Church
Administrative/Biographical history: The first Trinity Church was erected in Homanby (later Womanby) Street, Cardiff in 1696, on land leased to Alderman John Archer of Cardiff by Sir John Thomas, baronet, of Wenvoe, and his wife Elizabeth. The congregation had been formed in the years after the Restoration by John French, who had been ejected from the living of Wenvoe in 1662, and it is thought likely that French's congregation included members of the first nonconformist congregation in Cardiff, which had been formed in 1640 by William Erbury who had been ejected from the living of Cardiff, St. Mary and who died in 1654. In 1718, the church was endowed by Archer with a dwelling house in West (later Castle) Street, Cardiff and the sum of £400. In 1847, the church was re-opened after having been rebuilt following a fire. In 1888, Trinity Church was amalgamated with Llandaff Road English Congregational Church, and the Charity Commissioners approved the sale of Womanby Street Church, the proceeds of which were used to erect a new church in Cowbridge Road for the united congregation. The united congregation met in the Llandaff Road Church until the new church, known as New Trinity Church, was opened in 1894.
Scope and content/abstract: Cardiff Trinity Church, Womanby Street, records including: marriage registers, 1932-1971; church meetings minute books, 1842-1977; deacons' minute book, 1887-1984; reports of the deacon's committee on finances, 1912; membership rolls, 1894-1961; financial records, 1887-1951; church property, 1871-1954; appointment of ministers, 1916-1932; pastoral, 1811-1894; Sunday School, 1932-1933; church events, 1924-1956; magazines and newsletters, 1919-1969; historical papers, 1921-1954; pictorial records, 1846-1933; Llandaff Road English Congregational Church records including: register and church meetings minute book, 1882-1887; building committee minute book, 1887-1895; and New Trinity Church, Cowbridge Road East, records including: photographs and miscellaneous papers, 1933-1990.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: Some records are closed for 30 years - contact the Duty Archivist
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A detailed catalogue is available at Glamorgan Archives
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual, 1984-1991
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: March 2005