Reference code(s): GB 0214 DECONG16.
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Bonvilston Road English Congregational Church and Mission Church, Pontypridd records
Short Title: Bonvilston Road English Congregational Church and Mission Church, Pontypridd records
Creation date(s): 1901-1969
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): English Congregational Church, Pontypridd
Administrative/Biographical history: The church began with a meeting of volunteers requested by the Rev. W. I. Morris of Sardis Welsh Congregational church in 1880 in order to answer the requirements of English speakers. This led to the construction of an English church on Gelliwastad Field in 1881, but the Coedpenmaen area was still in need of provision, and the District Congregational Council 1895 encouraged the English church to acquire land on lease from the Bassett estate in Bonvilston Rd in 1896 where a building, later described as the Mission Hall, was functioning mainly as a Sunday School. Services were added in 1898 and a Resident Missioners provided by the Congregational church in 1900. The Bonvilston Rd church formed itself as a separate church in 1920 with the initial support of the Gelliwastad church and appointed its own minister, the Rev. A. C. Gravelle, in 1922 but the church struggled to survive during the Depression 1926-1934. The problem was partly resolved by sharing pastorate with New Road Congregational church, Ynysbwl, from 1942, and benefited from the activity of the Rev. D. Brinley Richards, 1945-1947, but the church lacked a minister from his departure until 1969, and had to depend upon lay preachers and 'service' ministers. Falling congregation numbers led to a decision by the church meeting in March 1969 to close the church. Members transferred to the newly-formed Pontypridd United Church.
Scope and content/abstract: Minutes books of Bonvilston Road English Congregational Church, 1906-1969; roll of membership, 1902-1968; Mission Church annual reports, 1901-1917; Bonvilston Road Church annual reports, 1920-1947; ordinations, 1942-1947; and miscellaneous papers, 1923-1969.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Archives by a private individual
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Archives finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005