Reference code(s): GB 0214 DECONG17
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Cardiff and District Congregational Board records
Short Title: Cardiff and District Congregational Board records
Creation date(s): 1922-1997
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Cardiff and District Congregational Board
Administrative/Biographical history: The Cardiff and District Congregational Board held its first meeting on 17 April 1916, under the chairmanship of the Rev. R. E. Salmon. Its initial aim was the collection of £5,000-£10,000 over its first three years of operation. This money would be used to extinguish existing debts on churches in the area; to obtain and purchase sites for the building of churches, and to assist with the extension or rebuilding of existing premises; and to provide grants towards the salaries of ministers engaged by associated churches. Only churches affiliated to the Cardiff and District Congregational Council were eligible to apply to the fund. By the time the Board held its first annual meeting on 21 March 1917, £3,500 had been raised. On 21 September 1917, the Council and the Board amalgamated to form a sole body named the Cardiff and District Congregational Board. It hoped to acquire the former Ropers Hotel on Westgate Street, adjacent to Wood Street Congregational Church, as its headquarters. This building would then be used to house offices, a library, a Sunday School equipment room, meeting rooms, rooms for the use of the rapidly expanding Wood Street Church, and a hostel for young ladies new to Cardiff. Unfortunately, due to the war, the premises were transformed into the headquarters of the Food Control Committee. Luckily, the Board managed to acquire the adjacent premises at 10 and 12 Westgate Street. Finally, on 19 January 1920, it moved in to the former Rapers Hotel, renamed Church House. In 1918, the Board was incorporated (under the name Cardiff and District Congregational Board (Incorporated) (The)), and in 1919 it began producing its monthly periodical, The Congregational Magazine. In 1972, the Congegational Church became part of the new United Reformed Church.
Scope and content/abstract: Minutes and committee papers of Cardiff and District Congregational Board, 1948-1997; financial papers, 1962-1995; papers relating to Board property, 1926-1981; memorandum and articles of association, 1918; United Reformed Church Act 1972; papers relating to Board publications, 1922-1965; and general administrative papers, 1960-1979.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following sources were used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Comapnies House WebCheck website, viewed 1 June 2005.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005