Reference code(s): GB 0214 DWCONG2
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Bryn Seion Chapel, Gilfach Goch, records
Short Title: Bryn Seion Congregational Chapel, Gilfach Goch, records
Creation date(s): 1938-c.1983
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.001 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Bryn Seion Chapel, Gilfach Goch
Administrative/Biographical history: Bryn Seion Chapel, Gilfach Goch, Glamorgan, was established in 1872 to serve Congregationalists who had previously attended at Tabor Methodist Chapel from its opening in 1868. Construction of the chapel was delayed by the incompetence of the builder and his subsequent bankruptcy, and opened in March 1874. The chapel experienced considerable financial problems, but established itself as a centre for cultural and social events; industrial decay and falling congregations led to its closure and demolition in 1973.
Scope and content/abstract: Annual reports, 1938-1948; a history of the chapel, [c. 1940]-[c. 1983].
Language/scripts of material: Welsh
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A detailed catalogue is available at Glamorgan Archives
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private depositor
Related material: Related records are Glamorgan Record Office, DXQM1-5.
Note: The archive contains a history of the chapel compiled or completed after its closure.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following sources were used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Congregational Year Book 1933; Pritchard, Katie Olwen, The Story of Gilfach Goch, Wales (Risca, Newport, 1973).
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005