Reference code(s): GB 0214 DWCONG3
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Ebenezer Welsh Congregational Chapel, Tylorstown, records
Short Title: Ebenezer Welsh Congregational Chapel, Tylorstown, records
Creation date(s): 1906-1980
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.16 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Ebenezer Welsh Congregational Chapel, Tylorstown
Administrative/Biographical history: Ebenezer Welsh Congregational Church meeting was established in 1877 in the cellars of two shops (later the Ex-Servicemen's Club). The chapel was founded 1878 at Pendyrus, otherwise Tylorstown, Glamorgan, under the auspices of Trerhondda Congregational Church, Ferndale, and the first minister was appointed in 1879. The first building was the vestry and the chapel was not opened till 1883, and the name 'Ebenezer' was chosen by lottery. The chapel occasionally appears in printed publications as 'Ebeneser'. The congregation reached a peak of 450 in 1905. Despite a succession of talented ministers, after the departure of the Rev. Rowland Hughes for Eglwys Minny Street, Cardiff, in 1921, congregations fell during the 1930s, and particularly after the Second World War. The chapel closed in 1988.
Scope and content/abstract: Minutes book of church and deacons meetings of Ebenezer Welsh Congregational Church, 1913-1928; members' subscription registers, account books and contribution registers, 1906-1980; sunday school records, 1914-1970; letter books, 1915-1946; and marriage certificate form counterfoils, 1918-1978.
Language/scripts of material: Welsh
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A detailed catalogue is available at Glamorgan Archives
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; and Llawlyfr Undeb Ferndale a'r Cylch (Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg. Swansea, 1957).
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005