Reference code(s): GB 0214 DWCONG10
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Tabor Welsh Congregational Church/United Reformed Church, Maesycwmmer, records
Short Title: Tabor Welsh Congregational Church and United Reformed Church, Maesycwmmer, records
Creation date(s): 1829-2003
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.07 cubic metres (26 volumes, 34 booklets, 2 bundles, 109 papers, 12 envelopes, 1 parchment, 3 paper cards, 1 paper dee
Name of creator(s): Tabor Welsh Congregational Church and Tabor United Reformed Church, Maesycwmmer
Administrative/Biographical history: Members of the Independent church held their initial meetings in a cottage in Maesycwmer c1827 and erected their first chapel here in 1829 on land leased from the Gelli-deg estate. This was greatly enlarged in 1855 and opened in 1856. The congregation built a new chapel in 1876 - to accommodate the increase in members - designed by the Revd Thomas Thomas (Thomas Gland?r) according to his 'Landore Style' developed at Swansea. Tabor is remarkable for its 'Glorification arch', unspoilt interior and ironwork [see DWCONG10/27]. It was listed by CADW as Grade II in 1997. The gradual decline of the congregation during the 1980s and 1990s and the burden of maintaining the church building culminated in a decision by church members in 2002 to close the church. The church closed in January 2003. The church congregation reached a peak between 1900 under the pastorate of the (very active) Revd TJ Hughes (1869-1907), the Revd Ioan Jenkins (1930-1944) and the Revd Frank Saville (1944-1964). Tabor became a part of the United Reformed Church in 1971 and of the Rhymney Valley pastorate with Bethany, in Ystrad Mynach, and Van Road, in Caerphilly, in 1996.
Scope and content/abstract: Records include papers and volumes relating to membership 1829-1943, deacons' minutes 1902-1961, annual general meetings 1943-2002, Sunday School 1933-1969, baptism certificates 1930-1990, treasurer's papers 1892-1975, certificates as place of worship 1832 and 1854, pastorate 1925-1963, graveyard and burials 1918, 1944, 1964, ownership, insurance and church fabric 1904-2003
Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005