Reference code(s): GB 0214 DWBAP21
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Saron Welsh Baptist Chapel, New Tredegar, records
Short Title: Saron Welsh Baptist Chapel, New Tredegar, records
Creation date(s): 1860-1990
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: (34 volumes, 6 papers, 2 files, 2 bundles, 1 leaflet and 3 booklets)
Name of creator(s): Saron Welsh Baptist Chapel, New Tredegar
Administrative/Biographical history: New Tredegar, Saron. Baptist meetings began in 1954 at the house of William Davies (in The Ranks, Tredegar Road) who was a member of Zoar Baptist Church, Pontlottyn, and were later held at the Long Room, the Dynevor Arms Tirphil. Saron was built in 1860 on the Monmouthshire side of the River Rhymney but the meeting remained part of the Glamorgan Baptist cause. Services were generally in Welsh till 1926 although the minister was given permission in 1915 to preach for 10 minutes in English every Sunday night. A history of the church is given in the Centenary Celebration booklet [DWBAP21/48]
Scope and content/abstract: Saron Welsh Baptist Chapel, New Tredeagr, minutes books, 1885-1984; legal papers, 1861-1967; membership and Sunday School records, 1860-1986; financial records, 1888-1990; and miscellaneous papers, 1905-1960.
Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: Some material may be closed for 30 years - contact the Duty Archivist
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: April 2005