Reference code(s): GB 0214 DN
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Merthyr Mawr Estate records
Short Title: Merthyr Mawr Estate records
Creation date(s): [c. 1420]-1966
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 1.64 cubic metres (various forms extenting over 14 sections (approx 3203 records))
Name of creator(s): Merthyr Mawr estate
Administrative/Biographical history: The Nicholl family of Merthyr Mawr, Glamorgan, was a junior branch of the Nicholl family of Ham, Glamorgan. John Nicholl (d 1773) of Llanmaes, the third son of the Rev. Iltyd Nicholl of Ham, was the father of Sir John Nicholl (1759-1838), Judge of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, Judge of the High Court of Admiralty 1833, and Vicar-General of the Archbishop of Canterbury 1834. It was he who was mainly responsible for creating the Merthyr Mawr estate He had a contingent interest in the estate of his godfather, the Rev. John Nicholl (d 1770), in Llantwit Major and Llantwit Minor (Llantwit Fardre), and received the Ton-du estate, Glamorgan, on the death of Edward Powell in 1771. Much of the estate was built up by purchase, mainly by Sir John, including the estate and manor of Candleston, the Merthyr Mawr estate he purchased from the trustees of Charles Bowen, in 1804, Sketty Hall, and numerous other purchases in Glamorgan, until the estate measured 4,894 acres in 1873, with an estimated annual rental of £6,565. Sir John Nicholl was succeeded by his son John Nicholl (1797-1853), MP for Cardiff 1832-1852, who married Jane Harriet, daughter of Thomas Mansell Talbot of Margam Abbey. They were succeeded by their eldest son John Cole Nicholl (1823-1894) who in turn was succeeded by his son John Illtyd Dillwyn Nicholl (1861-1935), and by his son Robert Iltyd Nicholl (b 1896).
Scope and content/abstract: Papers of several estates acquired by the Nicholl family: papers (originally labelled 'Parson Nicholl's papers') relating mainly to the estate of the Rev. John Nicholl and his predecessors in Llantwit Major and Llantwit Fardre, Glamorgan, including deeds, [c. 1420]-1737, correspondence, [c. 1674]-1757, accounts and receipts, 1637-1769, and plans, [c. 1774]-[c. 1909]; Ton-du estate papers, comprising deeds (including colliery and building leases), 1604-1949; Llampha estate papers, including Penllyn and Merthyr Mawr, comprising deeds, 1757-1936, receipts and accounts, 1813-1859, and correspondence, [c. 1845]-[c. 1850]; and deeds and associated documents relating to other land purchases in Glamorgan, mainly by Sir John Nicholl, including the manor of Candleston, 1626-1839, and the papers of John Illtyd Dillwyn Nicholl.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged in the original order, of fourteen sections, namely 'Parson Nicholl's papers', followed by thirteen sections of deeds, arranged by estate or parish; and Lt Col John I. D. Nicholl's papers.
Conditions governing access: Restricted access. Written permission is required before the archives can be consulted. Researchers should complete the relevant form on permission to access closed records, or apply for a staff member to undertake the search.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: DN/3205-3227, deeds and documents relating to the manor of Candleston, were originally held at the National Library of Wales; they were transferred to Glamorgan Record Office in 1965.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual at the National Library of Wales; transferred to Glamorgan Record Office, 1965.
Related material: Further papers are Glamorgan Archives, Merthyr Mawr Estate Collection.
Publication note: Thomas, Hilary M., Merthyr Mawr House, Mid Glamorgan: an account of the building of Sir John Nicholl's country mansion (Glamorgan Archive Service, 1983).
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and antiquities of the counties and county families of Wales, vol. I(London, 1872); Burke's Landed Gentry, 18th ed., vol. 1 (London, 1965-72); Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of the Merthyr Mawr Estate Records and Catalogue of the Merthyr Mawr Collection.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: March 2001; amended January 2005