Reference code(s): GB 0214 DCL
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Clemenstone Estate, Vale of Glamorgan collection
Short Title: Clemenstone Estate, Vale of Glamorgan collection
Creation date(s): 1579-1920
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.24 cubic metres (c. 440 items)
Name of creator(s): Clemenstone Estate
Administrative/Biographical history: The first part of the Clemenstone archive relates to the Powell family of Llysworney, Glamorgan, and their estate. The last male member of this family was the Rev. Robert Powell, master of Cowbridge Grammar School, who married Susan, daughter of Roger Williams of Llantwit Major. Their daughter Susan, the heir of Llysworney, married Daniel Durel (1721-66), a native of Jersey who succeeded his father-in-law as master of Cowbridge Grammar School. Their daughter Susan married John Franklen (fl 1747-1771), and so the Llysworney estate passed to the Franklen family, together with the Great House in Cowbridge, bought by Daniel Durel from the Rev. John Carne of Nash. The Great House remained in the family until Sir Thomas Franklen presented it in reversion to Cowbridge Grammar School in 1922. The Franklen family owned property in the Llansamlet area of Glamorgan, and John Franklen inherited property in the manor of Clase or Clas in Llansamlet from his brother William. He later acquired the Wilton estate and property in Llantwit Major, all of which (except the property in Clase) he settled on his only surviving son, Thomas Franklen, on his marriage in 1798 to Ann (d before 1837), daughter of Richard Crawshay (1739-1810) the ironmaster. John Franklen further acquired the Candleston estate and the church and tithes of Merthyr Mawr, all in Glamorgan, which he settled on his heirs in tail in his will. Thomas Franklen seems to have fallen into considerable debt, and gave all his property to his son Richard (fl 1822-1877), provided he paid all the debts, and paid his father an annuity of £900. Richard Franklen decided to sell Candleston and Merthyr Mawr church to Sir John Nicholl, but as the property was settled in John Franklen's will, an Act of parliament had to be obtained, whereby other property had to be acquired and settled in its place. Instead of purchasing other property, however, Richard Franklen paid off a mortgage on his own Dihewyd farm (a mineral property in Llantwit Fardre left him by Richard Crawshay), and settled it with the Llysworney and other estates on Thomas Franklen's marriage in 1798. In 1830 Richard Franklen married Isabella Catherine Talbot, daughter of Thomas Mansel Talbot of Penrice Castle and Margam, who had bequeathed £10,000 as a marriage portion to each of his daughters. Richard Franklen used this money to buy the Clemenstone estate, and later bought the neighbouring farms of Cwrtnewydd and Picket Hill. Richard and Isabella Franklen had one daughter, Anne Emma, who died unmarried, and two sons, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Richard Franklen, RA, and Sir Thomas Mansel Franklen, the last male descendant of the Franklen family. C. R. Franklen had three daughters, the eldest, Evelyn, marrying Herbert Charles Richards Homfray of Penllyn Castle. The Clemenstone estate was finally disposed of in 1918.
Scope and content/abstract: Papers of Daniel Durel, 1719-1766, mainly copies and summaries of his correspondence (some in French); 18th century copies of surveys of the manors of Avon Wallia, Coity Anglia, Sully, Ogmore and Llanharry, all in Glamorgan, 1611-36; deeds and papers relating to the Llysworney property of the Powell family and Daniel Durel, 1579-1881; to the Clemenstone estate with Cwrtnewydd and Picket Hill, 1759-1881, to premises in Llangyfelach and Llansamlet, 1778-1815; and to the Candleston estate and Merthyr Mawr church and tithes, 1695-1837; and deeds relating to premises in Hertfordshire (DCL 2/1-90).
Language/scripts of material: English, French
System of arrangement: Arranged into volumes, which are arranged chronologically;, and deeds and papers, which are arranged by parish or estate.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at the Glamorgan Record Office, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, and the National Register of Archives. A hard copy of the National Library of Wales' 1929 catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: The first part of the archive, nos 1/1-190, 208-210 and 237-240, was held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, from 1929, until 1961. The remainder of the collection was found at Penllyn Castle.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Related material: Later papers relating to the Franklen family are Glamorgan Record Office, DPE (Penllyn Castle Estate Collection) 43-48. A number of deeds which are assumed to have been separated from the collection in the late 19th century are Glamorgan Record Office, DAN 1/1-24.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan County Record Office, catalogue of records for the Clemenstone Collection. Modified David Morris for ANW project
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: March 2002, September 2004