Reference code(s): GB 0214 BC
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Cardiff Borough records
Short Title: Cardiff Borough records
Creation date(s): 1340-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 27.36 cubic metres (1,368 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Cardiff Borough Council; Cardiff County Borough Council
Administrative/Biographical history: The first written charter relating to Cardiff (Glamorgan), dated between 1122 and 1147, confirms a number of privileges granted by the lord of Glamorgan to the settlement here. These privileges were renewed by successive lords until the borough was constituted as a corporate authority by an Act of 1542. Royal charters of Elizabeth I, and James I, confirmed and extended Cardiff's ancient rights. The Municipal Corporations Act 1835 came into force on 1 January 1836, and a new Town Council was elected by men over the age of 21 who occupied a house, warehouse, counting house, or shop, and paid rates. By 1875, the city boundaries were extended to include the parish of Roath, including Splott, and Grangetown and Canton in the parish of Llandaff. In 1905, Cardiff gained city status and in 1922, the boundaries were again extended to encompass the remainder of Llandaff, most of the parish of Whitchurch, and the parish of Llanedeyrn. In 1938, Rumney (Monmouthshire) was brought within the city boundaries and, in 1974, St Mellons (Monmouthshire). The Local Government (County Councils) Act 1888, reformed local government, establishing elected councils to take over responsibility for those aspects of county administration which had until that date been dealt with by the justices of the peace in Quarter Sessions. In 1929, another Local Government Act transferred responsibility for public assistance from the Boards of Guardians to the borough council. New legislation, relating to public health, agriculture, mental deficiency, highways, and town and country planning, gave further responsibilities to the council, particularly between 1919 and 1947. In the period immediately after the Second World War, some responsibilities were transferred from Cardiff Rural District Council, but with the establishment of the National Health Service and the welfare state, the council lost responsibilities for major services relating to health and public assistance to central government. Local government was reorganised in 1974 and Cardiff City Council became effectively a district council under South Glamorgan County Council. Following local government reorganisation in 1996, the unitary authority of the City and County Borough Council of Cardiff was formed. Cardiff became the capital city of Wales in 1955. The Council took over the repsonsibilities of Cardiff Local Board of Health, Cardiff Waterworks Company, and the Royal Hamadryad Seaman's Hospital.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of Cardiff borough, 1340-1974: charters, 1338-1608; committee records, 1835-1974; custom house records, 1686-1746; education committee records, 1904-1972; education department records, 1902-1969; fire service records, 1943-1974; Glamorganshire canal records, 1791-1937; public health department records, 1924-1931; Royal Hamadryad Seaman's Hospital, 1897-1906; Cardiff Local Board of Health records, 1850-1879; Cardiff Market records, 1891-1969; Public Assistance/Welfare Department records, 1913-1978; pictorial records, 1881-1980; Cardiff Street Commissioners, 1774-1865; Treasurer's Department records, 1892-1968; Weights and Measures Department records, 1893-1974; Cardiff Waterworks Company, 1895-1971; miscellaneous papers [19th century - 20th century]; plans, 1857-1978; and registers of building plans submitted to Cardiff Borough Council, 1857-1958.
Language/scripts of material: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged by type and date.
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be closed in accordance with the Data Protection Act, but access may be given to such records in accordance with Record Office policy.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office. A database of Surveyors' Department building regulation plans is available online and can be accessed at the Glamorgan Record Office website: see BC/S1 Bulding Regulations Plans.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred by the Cardiff Borough Council and its successors at various dates.
Related material: South Glamorgan County Council.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for Cardiff Borough; Riden, Philip, Records Sources for Local History, (London, 1987); Moir, Esther, The Justice of the Peace, (Harmondsworth, 1979); Stephens, W.B., Sources for English Local History, (Cambridge, 1981); Surveyors' department building regulation plans website "Glamorgan Record Office website(www.glamro.gov.uk.), viewed 14 October 2003."
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003