Reference code(s): GB 0214 BK
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Borough of Kenfig records
Short Title: Borough of Kenfig records
Creation date(s): [c. 1396]-1998
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.36 cubic metres (17 volumes, 2 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Borough of Kenfig; Kenfig Corporation Property; Kenfig Corporation Trust.
Administrative/Biographical history: The Borough of Kenfig (Glamorgan) was founded in the early 12th century; the earliest surviving charter dates to c. 1396. The borough suffered from the encroachment of sand dunes, and was forced to move to Pyle in 1471. The borough ahd several courts. The Court Leet and View of Frankpledge was held bi-annually in May and October, with responsibility for the administration of justice in the borough and the election of officials. The Court Baron and Court of Pleas were held monthly before the portreeve. The courts fell into decay with the rise of county courts. Before the Reform Act 1832, Kenfig Borough joined the boroughs of Cardiff, Cowbridge, Llantrisant, Aberavon, Neath, Swansea and Loughor to send a member to parliament. Subsequently, the Borough formed part of the Swansea parliamentary district, and later the Aberavon district. The ancient borough virtually came to an end when its corporation was dissolved in 1886 as a result of the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Charity Commissioners empowered to deal with its affairs set up the Kenfig Corporation Property, formed of a committee of twelve people (including representatives from local authorities) charged with the administration of the Borough property. Under a new scheme of management issued by the Charity Commissioners in 1998 the Kenfig Corporation Property was renamed the Kenfig Corporation Trust.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Borough of Kenfig, [c. 1396]-1998, includes: charters and transcripts, [c. 1396]-1886; ordinances of the town, 1550-1800; survey, ; minutes of the various courts, suit rolls, account books, 1742-1886; admissions of burgesses, 1774-1837; and records of Kenfig Corporation Property and Kenfig Corporation Trust, 1923-1998.
Language/scripts of material: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged by type and date.
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be closed in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Record Office policy. Photocopies of the Borough of Kenfig charters will be consulted by searchers instead of the originals which are in a fragile condition. Access to BK/181 is restricted.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Physical characteristics: The majority of the collection is in good condition with the exception of the charters BK 1-3, which are in poor condition.
Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accrurals are not expected.
Archival history: Items BK 1-176 were deposited in the National Library of Wales in 1944. In 1964, the trustees transferred the records to the Glamorgan Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition: Part transferred from the National Library of Wales, 1964; part deposited at later dates.
Related material: Further papers are Glamorgan Record Office, DX906 1, Minute book of Court Leet, View of Frankpledge, Court Baron and Court of Pleas, 1817-1853.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The boundaries are shown in detail on the plan in the Scheme of Management for Kenfig Corporation Trust (ref. BK 184). The plan also shows the subsequent changes to the Borough boundaries.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Archives, Catalogue of records for the Borough of Kenfig; Weinbaum, M. British Borough Charters, (Cambridge, 1943); and Soulsby, I. The Towns of Medieval Wales, (Chichester, 1983).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003